Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Starter, with all due respect, you're missing the point of a state-funded welfare system.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

2. Likes: Tazio (14th January 2015)
    Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spafranco View Post
    Give me an example of what you would consider a joke. If you feel that it is funny to make them look like fools and you are Jewish then I would give some credibility to your poking fun in sum way at Hitler or Himmler. What that joke would or could be is anathema to me.
    So only Jewish people are allowed to make jokes about Hitler?

Have you never seen any of the 'Downfall' parodies on youtube?

I joke is simply something that is intended to be humorous.

People say you can't make jokes about rape. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAW8Tzt28Ts
    Last edited by Brown, Jon Brow; 13th January 2015 at 18:01.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post

I don't really think atheism is the answer and I certainly don't appreciate it much the way some preach their atheism from their really high horses. In the end, like it or not, it may not be a religion, but atheism is definitely a faith and convinced atheists are nothing but just another type of fundamentalists because with all their condescending pretended love for reason their entire belief system is so so strongly based on something that isn't and can't be proven, just a very personal and subjective opinion, pretty much like any other faith. But for some unknown reason they are reasonable and the others are unreasonable.

I disagree.

Faith is believing in something (god in this context) without requiring evidence.

I'm an atheist but I don't have faith that there isn't a god. I just haven't been shown any evidence yet that has convinced me to believe in god. A big difference.
    Last edited by Brown, Jon Brow; 13th January 2015 at 18:02.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    Starter, with all due respect, you're missing the point of a state-funded welfare system.
    I may be missing the intended point of a state-funded welfare system. I am most definitely NOT missing the result of a state-funded welfare system.

I am all for the so called safety net which would give short term help to those who have encountered crisis of various types in their lives. I have no use for systems which allow "the dole" to be a way of life.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post
    I disagree.

Faith is believing in something (god in this context) without requiring evidence.

I'm an atheist but I don't have faith that there isn't a god. I just haven't been shown any evidence yet that has convinced me to believe in god. A big difference.
    That makes you an agnostic, as am I, and not an Atheist. Show me credible evidence and I'll change my mind. Religion is all a moot point anyway since no one is able to prove that their belief is the true one.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    That makes you an agnostic, as am I, and not an Atheist. Show me credible evidence and I'll change my mind. Religion is all a moot point anyway since no one is able to prove that their belief is the true one.
    Well Richard Dawkins still technically defines himself as agnostic, but like him, for all intents and purposes I'm an atheist.

I may be missing the intended point of a state-funded welfare system. I am most definitely NOT missing the result of a state-funded welfare system.

I am all for the so called safety net which would give short term help to those who have encountered crisis of various types in their lives. I have no use for systems which allow "the dole" to be a way of life.
    If the side-effect of state-funded welfare is that Ł2 of my yearly tax bill is going to those who use the dole as 'a way of life' then so be it. There are far bigger issues in society than this 'result' of sate welfare.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

I don't mean to hijack this thread (but perhaps an interesting discussion for it's own thread), but the intent of a state-funded welfare system is not so much to benefit the individual but society as a whole.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

10. Likes: donKey jote (13th January 2015)
    Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz View Post
    In a way, France is a more modern society than the U.S. With its welfare system it offered migrants way more than they could hope for at home from day one. For the second generation it must have been even easier. They got the level of freedom and the standard of living head and shoulders above than that in their cultural motherland. They got French passports. Even on the lower steps of the social ladder they were doing way better than their brethren in Algeria or Mali. They still didn't integrate. Who's to blame?
    Be careful about generalising.

Two second or third generation Algerians killed 17 people last week, one of them was a second generation Algerian or Tunisian police officer shot in the head at point blank range while trying to defend the values of the Republic and the French public. He was a religious Muslim too BTW. As was another Muslim from Mali who worked at the kosher supermarket and risked his life helping Jewish shoppers hide in the basement of the store. Did they integrate or no?

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post
    So only Jewish people are allowed to make jokes about Hitler?

Have you never seen any of the 'Downfall' parodies on youtube?

I joke is simply something that is intended to be humorous.

People say you can't make jokes about rape. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAW8Tzt28Ts
    Charlie Chaplin wasn't Jewish either. Didn't stop him from making The Great Dictator, one of the funniest comedies of its era and unlike other comedians he had the guts to do it while Hitler was alive in a film industry that was terrified of offending the Nazis just in case they won in Europe.