Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Kris Meeke

Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Why would Kris not be going to Catalunya? I thought the driver line up was already chosen for Spain?

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    He was supposed to go to Poland too...

3. Likes: pantealex (22nd August 2017),TWRC (22nd August 2017)
    Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
    Can anyone update me on what happened to Meeke's car in Germany? I know he crashed in Saarbrucken but he did restart after that. Next think I know the car is covered up on Sat night. I couldn't get internet in Germany and nothing was mentioned on WRC news or the highlights (is he not worth a mention anymore?)

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinu13 View Post
    Can anyone update me on what happened to Meeke's car in Germany? I know he crashed in Saarbrucken but he did restart after that. Next think I know the car is covered up on Sat night. I couldn't get internet in Germany and nothing was mentioned on WRC news or the highlights (is he not worth a mention anymore?)
    Water pump failure, they didn't want to continue to risk overheating the engine. Also Paul Nagle's wife gave birth to a baby on Saturday so it was another reason not to do rally2 on sunday, and they didn't feel like achieving anything on the sunday stages either.

6. Likes: Jinu13 (23rd August 2017),René (23rd August 2017)
    Liked 160 Times in 51 Posts
    My impression of Kris Meeke is that he can still become a World Champion if he just manages to relax himself in the car a couple of notches somehow, it is not a question of talent or speed and the age is not a problem either. But when I watch a Kris Meeke onboard, even his amazing Ouninpohja onboard from 2016, it's like watching something that is wound a bit too tight and which would perform a lot better if it was a bit looser. His basic driving style is very nice and smooth and he has everything it takes in that sense. But I think his pacenotes are a big problem. Just way too much information in my opinion, which eventually leads to more mistakes as the brain has too much information to process at the same time. I think Petter Solberg also ended up having the same problem in his career. More information is only good until a certain point from where it will become a big disadvantage. It feels like Meeke's co-driver often has to hurry to keep up and somehow it is all a bit too intense and forced from both Meeke and Nagle, rather than a nice and relaxed performance. I would go with Nicky Grist type of reading and Colin McRae level of simplicity any day over Kris Meeke notes.

8. Likes: AnttiL (5th February 2018),dupanton (6th February 2018)
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Maybe also Richard Burns was too much ambitious with his pace notes.

Best example of the other way around must be Tommie Makinen in Finland. Don´t know his PN in other rallies.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiK7 View Post
    My impression of Kris Meeke is that he can still become a World Champion if he just manages to relax himself in the car a couple of notches somehow, it is not a question of talent or speed and the age is not a problem either. But when I watch a Kris Meeke onboard, even his amazing Ouninpohja onboard from 2016, it's like watching something that is wound a bit too tight and which would perform a lot better if it was a bit looser. His basic driving style is very nice and smooth and he has everything it takes in that sense. But I think his pacenotes are a big problem. Just way too much information in my opinion, which eventually leads to more mistakes as the brain has too much information to process at the same time. I think Petter Solberg also ended up having the same problem in his career. More information is only good until a certain point from where it will become a big disadvantage. It feels like Meeke's co-driver often has to hurry to keep up and somehow it is all a bit too intense and forced from both Meeke and Nagle, rather than a nice and relaxed performance. I would go with Nicky Grist type of reading and Colin McRae level of simplicity any day over Kris Meeke notes.
    Unless my memory deceives me, Paul reads the notes really close to the actual corner... like notes for only one corner ahead. Many other drivers have notes several corners ahead.

11. Likes: KKS (15th February 2018)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itix View Post
    Unless my memory deceives me, Paul reads the notes really close to the actual corner... like notes for only one corner ahead. Many other drivers have notes several corners ahead.
    May be so, in Monte Meeke's off on the first stage the "respect the ice" note seems to came when the car was already in trouble.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    I agree.. I've often wondered how on earth Kris takes in so much information. And yes I thought the same about Solberg.

I wonder if a new notes system or even a new co-driver could be tried, assuming it is an issue ?

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    I agree.. I've often wondered how on earth Kris takes in so much information. And yes I thought the same about Solberg.

I wonder if a new notes system or even a new co-driver could be tried, assuming it is an issue ?
    Don't forget - he has won rallys with this co-driver and he must feel comfortable with these notes, otherwise why wouldn't he have changed them by now?

15. Likes: pantealex (6th February 2018)