Quote Originally Posted by kup
Take it easy. 9 wins in a row in motor-racing history are more likely made by super power of a car&team. Not by any driver.
In this topic AA was just so lucky to have such dominant car&team. Just like Fangio had in other seasons, or like MS in 2002, 2004.
Quick fact: same driver, MS, but without dominant car, just loose to his team-mate 3 seasons in a row: 2010-2011-2012. Really?
What I think D-Type (in your other thread) and certainly me, are trying to point to, is the utter domination Alberto Ascari held over major GP racing in 1952-53. From Jun 52 to Jul 53 he not only did well, but won every WC European race held, and won another 5 or 6 non-championship F2 races. I don't know , or frankly care how the official F1 record book treats the streak, either 9, or "only" 7 GP; Michael Schumacher in 2004 equaled it at 7, but this does not surpass Ascari's feat.
On the Ferrari team were Taruffi, Villoresi, Farina and later Hawthorn, the latter two were not inclined to follow the leader; indeed Hawthorn finally ended the streak at 9 at the French GP.
For you to concoct a point system that somehow would deprive Ascari of top status in 1953, is utter nonsense, Ascari won more GPs in 1953 than Hawthorn did lifetime. Somehow I don't think it was all up to the car.