Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Formula E

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts

Re: Formula E

Quote Originally Posted by anfield5
    It will be really interesting when it rains. Water and electrickery equals heaps of blue flashes and strange noises and smells.
    How come all the Priuses and other hybrid cars or electric cars don't disintegrate in a fountain of sparks? And as Mark said, ever thought about how Trams still work even in torrential rain?

There have been other series that take racing to the people. A1 GP springs to mind. There were even A1 GP races in New Zealand, but that didn't last too long.
    A1GP still mostly used the normal race tracks, which happen to be built in the middle of nowhere. Formula E is run in the cities, right where the people already are.

The other thing I am wondering is simply where are the drivers coming from? Is it seen as a driver development series, akin to A1 GP? amd if so will F1 teams take notice, or are we expecting to see drivers like Filippe Massa strapped inside a hairdryer as a way to lengthen his career?
    Kovalainen, Glock, Kobayashi, di Grassi, Buemi, Liuzzi, Trulli, Heidfeld, Petrov, Algersuari
    That's just a few people who have been pushed out of F1 recently, some for nothing else but not being able to buy a seat. Fill that up with a few youngsters and you have a full grid in no time.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The lack of drivers won't be the problem for sure. I guess it will be more or less like the electric cars in the Andros Trophy, it is not bad racing, just very.. quiet.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Petrol cars use electronics too you know. But your right; electric trains and trams have to stop whenever it rains.
    Granted Mark cars do use all sorts of electrics and electronics, but it is easy to weather proof a unit the size of a bucket, it is another thing weather proofing an entire motive system

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In defense of my country, the weekend was always packed and we even had a round in the final series

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Petrol cars use electronics too you know. But your right; electric trains and trams have to stop whenever it rains.
    Granted Mark cars do use all sorts of electrics and electronics, but it is easy to weather proof a unit the size of a bucket, it is another thing weather proofing an entire motive system
    There are already electric cars on the road, and you missed my example of electric trains and trams. I even have electric motors working fully submerged into my fish tank; it's really not an issue.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Formula E page on Sound

http://www.fiaformulae.com/guide/sound

Video of Formula E noise

http://youtu.be/nX5Roi4lzVs

Steve

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by big_sw2000
    Formula E page on Sound

http://www.fiaformulae.com/guide/sound

Video of Formula E noise

http://youtu.be/nX5Roi4lzVs

Steve
    ^^like

cool !

(yes I mean it... the sound of the future ! )
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts

There are already electric cars on the road, and you missed my example of electric trains and trams. I even have electric motors working fully submerged into my fish tank; it's really not an issue.
    ^^like (hint hint )

I wouldn't drive en e-car through a river, but then again I'd think twice about driving a normal car through one too
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

This one appears to be running in the wet, with out electrocuting driver and spectators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDZ4VSFC6z0

Steve

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

To be honest I'm playing devils advocate a wee bit. , my point about rain = blue flashes was slightly tongue in cheek but I think it is still going to be a concern. Normal race cars experience problems with new technology that works fine in other applications, because motor racing pushes thing well beyond the limits they are designed to cope with.

As I said before I am not a fan of Formula E and I personally don't think it will last. But that is my opinion and my take on it. I am not wishing for it to fail and my ideas and opinions are quite often wrong, but hey.... I'm giving people something to discuss and argue about, and that can be fun