Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    The stewards have found Rosberg guilty of failing to slow down sufficiently for yellow flags:
    http://184.106.145.74/f1-championshi...tNumber-45.pdf
    Just a reprimand though.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    Come on, F1 fans are in reality very civilized compared to other sports. This is a non-issue really.
    This is true, but that doesn't make the spectacle of it happening any more pleasant.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Was Vettel's gearbox the same one that was used in Canada? If so, I wonder if the failure is related to when he hit the wall with his rear wheel.

I was half-expecting a problem to develop in Canada, but nothing went wrong at the time.

Liked 683 Times in 479 Posts
    Strange race to say the least. Sad to see the tire failures and RB failure change the race so much. I think Rosberg may have caught Vettel, but likely not made the pass. Hard to say, but it appears Lewis had pace to win. The tire failures caused a lot of shuffling of the deck, with all but Perez having time to come back and prove their worth in the race.

DoTR for me Felipe. That was a hard fight to come back after that blowout, and he has to be shaken after all the accidents lately. But Alonso, Lewis, Vettel, Nico, and several of the "mid packers" all had great races as well.

As for the tires plenty of blame to go around, and they all need to accept that to fix it. Pirelli and several teams want testing, the FIA and other teams prevent it. When Pirelli wanted to revert to the more durable tires, teams rejected it. But today we had no less than four drivers in the points lose tires, and worse yet create very unsafe situations on track. Both Kimi and Alonso drove through shards of flying debris... not a good thing.

Donkeys of the race for me were Button, Lotus, and FI.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Sometimes it's lighthearted and sometimes it isn't. Personally it's not something I'd do unless there was a driver who was bloody dirty.....
    Very true, and I agree its an unsporting thing to do. Vettel was booed quite heavily in Canada too if I remember and it was also discussed then. Maybe his Malaysia incident has not disappeared from the fans minds just yet? Red Bull have quite a decent following at Silverstone and Vettel in particular as they are a local team. Its strange but I've always found Webber to be reasonably popular amongst the British fans so it could be for many reasons.

Still it was a good race to watch and this is pretty insignificant when you consider how much else there is to talk about. Hamilton seemed pretty peeved at the end of the race and for good reason. Hard to take having a victory at your home race snatched away. Hopefully today he'll be able to reflect on the race as a whole and realise that he put in a performance worthy of DOTR. There are some positives IMO.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Gutted for Hammy in the race yesterday, absolutely gutted.

Ridiculous situation with the tires and it shows the short sightedness of some teams in blocking the modifications Pirelli wanted to make to their tires. F1 was very lucky that it did not have a serious accident yesterday and that all the drivers came away unscathed. In fairness to RBR, they are the ones that were making the most noise about htis all year, they saw there was a potential for this to happen. I don't believe it would happen in the Nurburgring but something has to be done now regardless of whether or not there is unanimous approval from the teams. I don't blame Pirelli for this, I blame Lotus, Ferrari and Force India for blocking the modifications Pirelli wanted to make to the tires. Wasn't Alonso lucky to not be hit on the head by Checo's rubber flying around the place? If he had been we could very well have had our first fatality in F1 since Senna.

I couldn't care less about the Vettel booing. If you really want to see misbehaved fans, try going to a Merseside Derby, it will make F1 fans look saintly.

DOTR for me was Hamilton. He still finished 4th and had incredible pace given the damage to his car. I was really impressed by him and he showed why he is considered the fastest driver in the business today. It's the first race of the year where, since qualifying, I can safely say Rosberg had no answer for him. The race was his and it was lost through no fault of his own. He has had such bad luck the last two years. Definitely my pick for driver of the race.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    Gutted for Hammy in the race yesterday, absolutely gutted.

Ridiculous situation with the tires and it shows the short sightedness of some teams in blocking the modifications Pirelli wanted to make to their tires. F1 was very lucky that it did not have a serious accident yesterday and that all the drivers came away unscathed. In fairness to RBR, they are the ones that were making the most noise about htis all year, they saw there was a potential for this to happen. I don't believe it would happen in the Nurburgring but something has to be done now regardless of whether or not there is unanimous approval from the teams. I don't blame Pirelli for this, I blame Lotus, Ferrari and Force India for blocking the modifications Pirelli wanted to make to the tires. Wasn't Alonso lucky to not be hit on the head by Checo's rubber flying around the place? If he had been we could very well have had our first fatality in F1 since Senna.

I couldn't care less about the Vettel booing. If you really want to see misbehaved fans, try going to a Merseside Derby, it will make F1 fans look saintly.

DOTR for me was Hamilton. He still finished 4th and had incredible pace given the damage to his car. I was really impressed by him and he showed why he is considered the fastest driver in the business today. It's the first race of the year where, since qualifying, I can safely say Rosberg had no answer for him. The race was his and it was lost through no fault of his own. He has had such bad luck the last two years. Definitely my pick for driver of the race.
    Pirelli haven't claimed that the modifications were anything to do with the failures we saw on the weekend. If Paul Hembrey had come out and said this, he'd have been laughed out of F1 because it would appear that the modifications are nothing to do with strengthening the sidewall.

BBC Sport - Teams block Pirelli's plans to change Formula 1 tyres

The modifications they wanted to do were more to do with delaminations rather than failures of the sidewalls. Two separate things.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well that was pretty farcical. Mercedes have obviously made a huge amount of progress in stopping their car from using up it's rear tyres. Bad luck for Hamilton and Vettel though. I just can't understand why Pirelli is unwilling to take the lead on this controversy. All they've been for the last couple of years is the whipping boy of F1 and the fans (with good reason). Now they're caught in a horrible situation where the only way they can make the tyres safer is by publicly admitting that the current ones are dangerous, which apparently they don't want to do. Their reputation must be taking an absolute kicking, why on Earth wouldn't they take the initiative and announce something along the lines of that in light of the politics and the lack of testing because of the current rules, they are forcing a change of tyres on all the F1 teams effective immediately. Be a damn sight better politically than being told to do it after yet more negative publicity.

And who on earth would want to supply tyres to F1 if Pirelli left?
    "There is no victory in death." - Gilles Villeneuve

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Pirelli haven't claimed that the modifications were anything to do with the failures we saw on the weekend. If Paul Hembrey had come out and said this, he'd have been laughed out of F1 because it would appear that the modifications are nothing to do with strengthening the sidewall.

BBC Sport - Teams block Pirelli's plans to change Formula 1 tyres

The modifications they wanted to do were more to do with delaminations rather than failures of the sidewalls. Two separate things.
    First of all Daniel, welcome back. I noticed you've been gone for quite a while from this forum.

Adrian Newey has come out this morning and said that the tires fiasco of yesterday would have been avoided had Pirelli been allowed to make the modifications they wanted to earlier in the year:

Silverstone tyre fiasco could have been avoided - Adrian Newey | British Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN.co.uk

I'll take his word for it

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    First of all Daniel, welcome back. I noticed you've been gone for quite a while from this forum.

Adrian Newey has come out this morning and said that the tires fiasco of yesterday would have been avoided had Pirelli been allowed to make the modifications they wanted to earlier in the year:

Silverstone tyre fiasco could have been avoided - Adrian Newey | British Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN.co.uk

I'll take his word for it
    Red Bull, supporting Pirelli? I don't believe it!
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.