Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faster69
    Of course he was. He was unable to keep a third year driver in a far inferior car behind him on a track that rewards driver skill like no other. That's the definition of being outdriven.

If Kimi was able to lap as quickly as Perez then Perez would never have had an opportunity to pass.

It's quite simple. I didn't see anyone trying to pass Perez or Sutil. I saw Kimi, Alonso and Button all get passed. That's because Perez and Sutil out drove all three of those world champions.
    You haven't convinced me lol. It just sounds to me like you are simply struggling to grasp the concept of how Kimi managed his race and how Perez drove so well he didn't manage the race distance and nearly took himself out twice before for good measure. I think we'll agree to disagree on this one lol.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    Apart from the fact Perez passed Button with a agreesive but fair move. Caught Alonso sleeping and then was squeezed in a breaking zone by Kimi which is not allowed.

Apart from those things that he did well or wasn't at fault for I agree he was terrible
    One thing is sure .. If every one was driving like Perez did (in Monaco) .. there wouldn't be any cars in the end of the race.. There is the reason why Alonso didn't overtake the cars in front of him ... NOT that he wouldn't be a good driver .. to over take like Perez didn't be a very wise move.. and the result for him was as it was ..
    Two real racers: Vettel the :champion: of 2010, 2011 and 2012 - Kimi the :champion: of 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jas123f1
    One thing is sure .. If every one was driving like Perez did (in Monaco) .. there wouldn't be any cars in the end of the race.. There is the reason why Alonso didn't overtake the cars in front of him ... NOT that he wouldn't be a good driver .. to over take like Perez didn't be a very wise move.. and the result for him was as it was ..
    LOL Alonso couldn't get close enough to the cars in front to overtake. He was getting overtaken left and right because drivers in worse cars were driving faster than him.

Alonso couldn't even hold position he drove so poorly.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    It's entirely possible - given everyone was driving to a delta - that the more level headed and experienced in the field took the view that to drive more defencively in the race was to risk a DNF (look at Massa and Hamilton 2011 at the hairpin). Rather take the points in an unusual race than get nothing.

Perez overheated his brakes which lead to his eventual DNF - that's not driving with your head, more hot headed.
    Kimi was losing time to the car in front of him when Perez tried the over take.

I understand a driver wanting to just retain their position on a track where overtaking is very very hard because they have a championship at stake (what Vettel did). But to do that you have to drive quicker than the car behind you.

Kimi and Alonso couldn't. It should be easy enough for guys in significantly better cars to keep a McLaren and Force India behind them, but they couldn't do it. That's why I don't rate them like I rate a Vettel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    You haven't convinced me lol. It just sounds to me like you are simply struggling to grasp the concept of how Kimi managed his race and how Perez drove so well he didn't manage the race distance and nearly took himself out twice before for good measure. I think we'll agree to disagree on this one lol.

Managing his race? I think he might need to rethink his strategy. Lapping slower than the guy behind you (who is also in a worse car) and giving him opportunities to pass you is a horrible strategy. What he should have done was lap at the same speed or slightly faster than the guy behind him, therefore not giving him the opportunity to attempt a pass. An even better strategy is to drive quicker than the guy in front of you because it gives you the opportunity to pass the car in front and improve your position. It seems Kimi picked the worst strategy of them all

Well Monaco has gone now, lets see where they are in the next race and if Perez is suddenly better than two guys who have won 3 world championships between them. It'll be a joy to watch no doubt.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It won't necessarily work like that because a superior driver can make up the disadvantage of an inferior car in a place like Monaco much more easily than somewhere like Barcelona.

Perez is in inferior machinery so it's a big ask to see him ahead of the superior Ferrari (best car in the field so far this season) and Lotus (second best). A better barometer is using former world champion Jenson Button -- Perez's teammate.

Perez and Sutil shouldn't have been able to get close to Kimi or Alonso let alone be quick enough to attempt to pass.

It might also be that the McLaren was suited to Monaco in this years spec and Perez found his groove. The circuit has produced some unlikely winners over the years, but I still think its a bit of a push to suddenly declare Alonso and Kimi as being slow around a circuit where they've impressed so many times in the past. Perez of course could be a driver who handles Monaco very nicely and potentially a future winner.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There hasn't been an unlikely winner at Monaco since 1996.

Look, Button wasn't driving faster than Alonso or Kimi. Perez was.

Oh, maybe the Force India is a better car than the Ferrari and Lotus

Monaco is a true drivers circuit, a true test. Good drivers always do well at Monaco.

By the way, saying it's "where they've impressed many times is a stretch. Kimi has one win and Alonso two at Monaco. Each time they did it they had the best car on the grid.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faster69
    Monaco is a true drivers circuit, a true test. Good drivers always do well at Monaco.

By the way, saying it's "where they've impressed many times is a stretch. Kimi has one win and Alonso two at Monaco. Each time they did it they had the best car on the grid.
    I thought it was a drivers circuit? Shouldnt matter as much that the car was good.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy