Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driveace
    One of the worst things about OZ is the fact that the disatances between towns can be at least an hours travelling We are just back from our 4th OZ trip to my daughters in Warwick,nearest town is Stanthorpe,over 60 k away and Toowoomba 100k ,Brisbane 140k,and the speed limit on most roads is 60MPH (100k),AND I have NEVER seen as many road works in my life !!!

And as many of my OZ mates over the years have said "Andf its all the same crap from one end to the other: dust and those big fat flies"
    160km in the Vancouver area--or here in Seattle gets you from an archipelago in the sound, thru rain forests, to urban to Alpine mountains and snow to prairie or steppe....
    It is the most compact area I know for changes in terrain, climate, everything and another 60-70 to that and you'll be into high desert.
    Well in miles any way..
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    I'm envious of that. Chicago is in the middle of everything but close to nothing. Only the scale and beauty of city itself makes living here worthwhile.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driveace
    One of the worst things about OZ is the fact that the disatances between towns can be at least an hours travelling ...
    Not too dissimilar from around here.

A 90 minute drive due north of Calgary, along a divided highway at 110kph will get you to the closest town of significance, Red Deer, population ~30,000.

Continue north along the same highway (named the Queen Elizabeth II highway for some reason ) for another 90 minutes and you arrive at the closest metropolis, Edmonton, pop. > 1M.

I can’t see a reason for making the trek to either place tbh : .

Vancouver, as mentioned, is a nice place, but that’s about a 9 hour drive from Calgary… in good weather.

To drive to visit Firstgear in Winnipeg, I’d have to pack an overnight bag. Alternatively I could take a two hour flight.

To visit my sister in Montreal is a ~4 hour flight.

To put things in perspective, the province of Alberta is nearly 3 times the size of Great Britain .

By all means visit our fine country, but bring a compass and a comfortable pair of shoes : .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    And radar detectors are illegal up there, right?

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Depends on the province (each enacts its own traffic legislation).

In Alberta radar detectors are permitted.
    In Quebec, for example, they are illegal.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

U k is best