View Poll Results: Is there a god?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES; I am a theist.

20 27.03%
  • PROBABLY YES; I'm an agnostic theist.

3 4.05%
  • PROBABLY NOT; I'm an agnostic atheist.

7 9.46%
  • NO; I'm an atheist.

34 45.95%
  • Who cares? I don't.

10 13.51%
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There a God?

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    Y'awl boys are cracking me up
    May the forza be with you

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    I don’t think someone could be a true atheist without a solid religious education.
    Indeed, the more I learn about different religions the more odd religious beliefs appear to me.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Yes I think there is. And his name is

Lionel Messi
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes there is,his name? Who else but Hef. Forget about virgins he sleeps with twins.

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    I don't think someone could be a true atheist without a solid religious education.
    I don't agree. A religious education simply means that you've studied the doctrine of a particular religion. All that will allow you to do is consider the merits of one religion against another. As somebody pointed out earlier, there is a difference between religion and faith. To believe in god(s) you have to have faith. You don't have to follow a religion.

Personally, I don't believe in god(s) so I guess that makes me an atheist. The reason I don't believe in god(s) has nothing to do with religion but is rather a reflection of the fact that I simply don't need faith in a god to live my life.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Atheism in America: Why won

It is interesting reading this thread as an American, because while I can certainly understand agnosticism, atheism seems completely foreign to me and unnatural. Here's an interesting quote from the article linked:

A Gallup poll last year showed that, while 9 per cent of Americans would not vote for a Jewish presidential candidate, 22 per cent wouldn’t support a Mormon and 32 per cent would not vote for a gay or lesbian candidate, 49 per cent would refuse to back an atheist for president.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexamateo
    Atheism in America: Why won

It is interesting reading this thread as an American, because while I can certainly understand agnosticism, atheism seems completely foreign to me and unnatural. Here's an interesting quote from the article linked:
    The difference between Europe and America is certainly interesting when it comes to religiousness in politics. As the article implies, an atheist can pretty much forget about being President in the US. Or he has to lie..

Not so in many European countries.

I know that in Estonia -- as perhaps an extreme example, but nevertheless -- if a presidential candidate started talking about God and faith, he/she would be seen by most as some sort of dangerous nutter. Even at Christmas when politicians make a point of being seen in church, it comes across as somehow unnatural.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I must admit, when I see politicians going to church in the UK, it makes me uneasy.

I want my politicians to make decision based on reason, facts and logic, not some 'belief'. That scares me.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    I must admit, when I see politicians going to church in the UK, it makes me uneasy.

I want my politicians to make decision based on reason, facts and logic, not some 'belief'. That scares me.
    I agree completely. Look at how Blair only converted to Catholicism after he ceased to be Prime Minister, and attempted always to deflect questions about his faith. When he was asked by Jeremy Paxman whether he and George W. Bush had prayed together, all he could do was refuse to answer what he said was a stupid question, or words to that effect. Not being stupid, he knew that a lot of people, right across the political spectrum, would consider him a religious nutter if he discussed his faith publicly. Some may consider this sad; I see it as entirely sensible. It was one matter on which he was entirely right.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You're right Ben. In America, you're weird and unelectable if you're not religious. In the UK, the opposite is true.