Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will Orders/Rally America Program

Will Orders has announced a program to compete in the Rally America 2WD championship next year.

http://rally-america.com/news/1031/

Perhaps, some of our Australian members can tell me more about the two drivers, the car and how they might do in the championship.
    Doug Woods

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    What will he be driving? Will it be something on sale in the States?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    What will he be driving? Will it be something on sale in the States?
    "1993 Nissan S13 silvia's" - sold as the Nissan 240 in the US, IIRC.

It'll be interesting to see how the fare against some of the new Fiestas that are cropping up. Stay tuned for Sno*Drift in January, I suppose.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    It'll be interesting to see how the fare against some of the new Fiestas that are cropping up. Stay tuned for Sno*Drift in January, I suppose.
    They are starting with Oregon. Sno*Drift would be a bit of a climatic culture shock. RWD on glare ice with no studs.
    Doug Woods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Will Orders has had a long association with rallying in Australia. His rise to prominence came in about 2003, when he was about 22, when he drove selected rounds in the ARC under the Pedders Suspension Rally Team in an Evo 3. He drove for them again in 2004 (he is a cousin of the Pedder brothers Scott and Mark). 2005 he ran in the Subaru RS Challenge, where he came second to Eli Evans (now factory Honda driver). 2006 he ran in the ARC, driving an Impreza WRX STI, where I think he took out the BP Ultimate Challenge (cars restricted to 98 RON fuel and limited tyres). 2007 he started the ARC, but had problems with the car so he only lasted two rounds before disappearing. He only just qualified for the new Rallyschool Junior Challenge this year at 29, and won the 2WD section in his ridiculous Silvia :P Challenged most of the 4WD Juniors too (not surprising given his calibre). Should be interesting to watch!

Ross Allan is relatively new to the sport. Did well in State Rally events last year, did the Junior Challenge this year, finishing 3rd in the 2wd Juniors at Rally Australia, behind Orders and another young driver Stephen Turner, driving a Nissan Bluebird. Other than that, I don't know much about him.

Interesting they are going to America in 2 Silvias, I would never have picked that! Maybe in 2 4WDs perhaps, but not in RWD Silvias. They should eat the 2wd Fiestas alive in the dry, in the wet, the Fiestas will have the advantage. I think the Silvias are producing at least 280bhp, maybe up to 350 even?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch555
    They should eat the 2wd Fiestas alive in the dry, in the wet, the Fiestas will have the advantage. I think the Silvias are producing at least 280bhp, maybe up to 350 even?!
    Thanks for the info. In this year's RA championship (6 events) every car on the 2WD podiums was FWD. No reason why a RWD car cannot do well, especially on the 3 events that he will be running. The Silvias will be in the G5 category which is, more or less, an open class for 2WD cars. So, he should be able to have as much power as can be used effectively on gravel roads.

There are three championship classes in RA, Open, SP and 2WD. Open is for AWD cars with few modification limitations. Very fast and expensive for the top cars and not that far from WRC levels of performance. SP stands for Super Production and is for production AWD cars with a lot of freedom for brakes and suspension but with few drive train modifications allowed. 2WD is as it says, any 2WD car, FWD or RWD, turbo or NA. Typically, the best drivers will dominate in 2WD, due to traction limits.

I look forward to seeing Will particpate in the championship.
    Doug Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Woods
    They are starting with Oregon. Sno*Drift would be a bit of a climatic culture shock. RWD on glare ice with no studs.
    Nuts; I normally can only make the first two events each year.

Liked 252 Times in 68 Posts
    These guys will be quick, Will Orders was setting top 6 stage times in the ARC this year in his Silvia. Very experienced driver.

Ross Allan, yes a bit new to the sport but still very quick. Has quite a few rallies under his belt and will take it up to Will on occasion.

These guys will be a good chance at winning 2wd in Rally America.

Ray
    2007 Australian Rally Champion Driver Class P3
    2011 Australian Rally Champion Codriver Privateers Cup and Premier League,
    2014 Australian Targa Champion Codriver Late Classic