Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    Fiat, VW Group are doing 1.4 and 1.2 petrol turbos in place of 2.0l engines in Europe and can only assume this will spread. BMW are downsizing and starting to turbo charge even their "M" cars. Even the supercar manufacturers are making some slightly smaller and lighter engines. I think Ford are replacing the 2.5l and 2.0l petrol engines in the focus with 1.6's now. and they are largely getting the same or more power and better mileage. I expect you'll start to see this in S.Africa pretty soon, expecially the VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda's depending on which actually sell down there
    I think this is very true.

Anyone who's has ever heard a WRCar will know that just because it's small doesn't mean it'll sound crap.

As another example of downsizing, Alfa Romeo have replaced their 3.2 v6 engines with a 1742cc turbo engine which only puts out 20bhp less and which is obviously a lot lighter and more environmentally friendly. They've also got a 170bhp 1.4 turbo in the Giulietta which produces the same amount of CO2 as the 1.2l engine in our Fiat 500.

Progress indeed.

I do hope they go to i4's and not v6's.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    But not consistently so:

2011 Spanish GP:

Pole: 1:20.981
    Fastest Lap: 1:26.727

1993 Spanish GP:

Pole: 1:17.809
    Fastest Lap: 1:20.989

Just over 107%

Quicker in Monaco this year, too though.
    Yes, but that's not a fair comparison.

The 1993 track is a smoother track to the 2011 course. If you compare the two, La Caixa is a far sharper turn now and Europcar to New Holland has a kink which never existed in the 1993 track. The new 2011 version is also marginally longer.
    The Canadian GP is probably the only track to make fair comparison on, because the circuit can be altered so very very very little.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 1,263 Times in 684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Canadian GP 1993:
    Pole time: Prost 1m18.987s - FW15C
    Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher - 1m21.500s

Canadian GP 2011:
    Pole time: Sebastian Vettel - 1m13.014s
    Fastest lap: Jenson Button - 1m16.956s

Cars are faster now.
    Tyres, suspension, etc. have all improved.
    Also, compare the GpB Rally cars v the modern WRCars - the modern WRC's are faster over a stage, yet have less power. It's called progress.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Tyres, suspension, etc. have all improved.
    We've both forgotten aerodynamics as well!
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Luckily there is Le Mans and endurance racing for those who like to witness great automotive technology where the average Joe feels bored.
    Wonder why ACO mandated 3.7L diesel engines...

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Are they still using carbs? Jeez, if there is a way to pi55 fuel up the wall, the yanks will embrace it with open arms!

They'll come up with a 6litre pushbike next, it will comprise a normal pushbike, but will involve emptying 6litres of unleaded on the ground - it'll be called a gas guzzler!

*this post is not serious*
    As a motor sport fan it makes a change where other categories put great emphasis on aero whereas NASCAR has more emphasis on mechanical engineering.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Personally, I’d love to see a mix of V6, V8, V10 & V12 engines. Not going to happen however. The car industry is going to small capacity turbo charged engines – Motorsport has to follow – WTCC, WRC have gone 1.6T engines, now it’s F1’s turn to follow suit.