Page 93 of 135 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC Coverage

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    It's fairly clear that the Sunday Times is trying to stir up trouble such that Sky will get the rights.
    No... surely not from cuddly Mr Murdoch and the organisation which brought us the phone hacking scandal?

Even going by the figures on the digital spy post though each race does seem to cost the beeb a fair bit. Could a commercial channel such as ITV or Sky really make a go of it on those figures?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Could not the BBC Trust wise up, and pay less for both Wimbledon (where the Brits don't stand a rats backside chance of winning this decade anyway) and F1, where we do and have had a British WDC covered by the Beeb.

Besides, didn't Auntie do a uturn of scrapping BBC6 music channel due to public demand? How many folk listen to that?
    Or the BBC could concentrate on genuine quality broadcasting, which means retaining as much of its excellent sports coverage, retaining the better minority stations/channels such as 6Music and BBC4 (the latter of which really is a gem), and doing away with almost all daytime programming and BBC3, once described memorably by Private Eye as 'the channel where you're never more than half an hour away from a repeat of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps."

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Bernie's come out (oo-er) in favour of the BBC, according to the Daily Mail:

'We want Formula One to stay free to viewers', F1 supremo Ecclestone said.

'That is 100 per cent. The BBC have done a great job for us and we like their shows and the people obviously like it because so many are watching.

'They did warn me that they were facing problems but, so far, nothing more has been said. I hope they want to keep us because it is such a success and I will do my best to keep Formula One on the BBC.'
    Source: Bernie Ecclestone wants Formula One to stay on the BBC | Mail Online
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Or the BBC could concentrate on genuine quality broadcasting, which means retaining as much of its excellent sports coverage, retaining the better minority stations/channels such as 6Music and BBC4 (the latter of which really is a gem), and doing away with almost all daytime programming and BBC3, once described memorably by Private Eye as 'the channel where you're never more than half an hour away from a repeat of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps."
    I agree with all of that, but must come to the defence of the beleagured BBC3. Like you, I find almost all* of its content awful; but the age group which it's aimed at are often licence-fee payers too, particularly the students, and as such have every right to expect programming which suits them.

*There have been some notable exceptions: they do occasionally produce some genuine public service programming about addiction and abuse; and Young Doctors - Your Life In Their Hands was excellent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, pretty short sighted view by BDunnell - of BBC 3 and BBC 4 I would want to see BBC 3 kept on. The shows on BBC4 are of no interest to me, however I don't think I am ignorant enough to say that the content of that channel is rubbish. I know that to a lot of people it is of great interest.

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    BBC3 - the BBC's attempt to do E4, the channel for young people, without actually understanding what a young person is.

It would be quite funny to see Bernie agree a multi-million dollar deal with Sky however - and then let the BBC have exactly the same coverage for a knock-down price
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    I have to say the BBC coverage since taking over from ITV has been fantastic, full qualifying, Race, and the option to view Practice sessions, all without adverts.
    In addition the current commentary team are pretty damned good, including Eddie for the fun factor.

I wouldn't have any issues with it moving to Sky, or any other broadcaster, with the exception of the introduction of adverts - something which killed the coverage on ITV, when they would inadvertently place an ad ten laps from the end - grrrrrr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    If F1 moved to Sky TV I'd have to watch a foreign broadcast on the internet or an illegal stream as I would never purchase Sky. I love F1 and have been watching it for 23 years or so, but I would not be forced into spending £50 p/m on a TV package that I didn't need just to watch a race every couple of weeks. If Bernie puts money before the fans like he usually does, it'll be a sport I'd have to give up which is rather depressing.
    I must admit that's my thinking too. If they put it on Sky One or similar it wouldn't be a problem, but Sky Sports is mentally expensive considering I don't have any interest in its other offerings. I could just about put up with PPV at a fiver or so per weekend, but not the £20 extra (plus another tenner if you want HD) for Sky Sports. I reckon I'd spend Sundays avoiding the results then torrent the thing overnight to watch on Monday evening.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yodasarmpit
    In addition the current commentary team are pretty damned good, including Eddie for the fun factor.
    Or the negativity factor. I really want to like him, especially after what he did in the 90's, but I'm afraid I'm struggling.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I honestly believe that the BBC Coverage will stay with BBC. Bernie realises the importance of having F1 free to air for all its viewers and Bernie usually gets what he wants. He will make a deal with the BBC to help them keep F1 as free to air I'm sure.

Let us hope it doesn't go back to ITV. They were a disaster, in my opinion. I never watched their coverage as it was awful. BBC coverage is the best we've ever had, in my opinion.