Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Liked 650 Times in 514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    We'll have to wait and see. Longer wheelbase doesn't necessarily mean they'll struggle on tighter circuits. For example the Ferrari F2007 vs F2008

Both of them had pretty much identical wheelbase, also using the same keel setup from what I remember, and were both much longer compared to the McLaren in those two years. While the F2007 was brilliant on faster circuits and struggled on tighter circuits in 2007, the F2008 was 1-2 in qualifying at Monaco 2008, and Massa almost won Hungary if not for the engine failure, albeit the Mclarens were on pole. Kimi also won Catalunya that year pretty comfortably. I know, comparing apples with oranges, but in the end it all boils down to aerodynamic efficiency and car setup.

I'm sure McLaren were pretty aware of their incompetence on tighter circuits in 2010, so I won't be surprised if they've solved that problem this year. Or maybe they'd like to maintain their dominance on high speed, low downforce circuits, improve on medium downforce circuits and let go of the few tight circuits. Anywho, this season is shaping up to be another brilliant one.
    Good answer and very insightful. You obviously know more about the technical side of F1, and I think that you have projected some really interesting alternatives.
    From what I've heard, and seen Ferrari have new rear end geometry and suspension. What McLaren has is still pretty much a complete mystery. I can't wait for the season to start, and I really hope it’s a dogfight at the top
    However Mia knows that the RB7 will run away with the championship so I don’t think it will hold my interest very firmly if she is right!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Itīs moore to it than the long wheelbase as most of us can see. You will need your toes crossed aswell.

The new Mac is so far doing reasoable good, they could be up there come race start.

And henner do you remeber da da da da, I do.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    When was Red Bull fifth fastest car in pre-2010? I remember Top3 teams (Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull) being considered fairly equal with Mercedes trailing slightly behind. Predictions were actually quite right last year, perhaps just Renault turned out to be a bit better than expected. And Sauber a bit worse.

But regarding McLaren it has to be said that possibly they will struggle at Monaco again as they once again have a long-wheelbase car.
    They never went for out and out qualy runs lat year if I remember right and their long runs where much shorter than anyone elses. The reports put Ferrrari an RBR about equal with McLaren and Mercedes just behind. End of day test times rarely had the Red Bulls at the top as well, unlike the Sauber which regualrly featured close to the top of the times, which is the point I was making as the fact that fuel weight could have as much a a 4 second difference to lap times made headline times pointless.

The long wheelbase of the McLaren could make them a little slow on the twisty circuits, but its thought that it could also help them protect the rear tyres, which is beginning to look like a defining point for this.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Alcatraz
    Good answer and very insightful. You obviously know more about the technical side of F1, and I think that you have projected some really interesting alternatives.
    From what I've heard, and seen Ferrari have new rear end geometry and suspension. What McLaren has is still pretty much a complete mystery. I can't wait for the season to start, and I really hope it’s a dogfight at the top
    However Mia knows that the RB7 will run away with the championship so I don’t think it will hold my interest very firmly if she is right!
    The McLaren has pullrod rear suspension like the Red Bull, you can clearly see this on the Force India which has a McLaren gearbox and casing, which means same suspension mounting points. In fact, only Ferrari and Virgin seem to have stayed with pushrods, with the central damper and rocker moved forward obove the gearbox casing to reduce blockage to the rear beam wing. A different solution to the same problem.

The big mystery with McLaren is what they'll do with the exhaust, and posibly diffuser since neither were particualrly evident at the launch.

For now, itīs a nice car, radical, fastest of all, but it needs spareparts in time.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    The big mystery with McLaren is what they'll do with the exhaust, and posibly diffuser since neither were particualrly evident at the launch.
    http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/0...-a-front-exit/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think the cancellation of Bahrain is good news for McLaren.

Their sponsors may not by happy, but at least they'll have more time to get up to speed.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper

Could this be it? Attachment 2734
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hopefully this car will be sorted and reclaim the championship we deserve!