Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    It's just that some guys here think that most drivers would give way to someone coming round the outside.
    Reminds me of this:
    [youtube]uNg6IvrIHbk[/youtube]

Andretti said afterwards: "Hunt says you don't pass on the outside in grand prix racing. Silly jerk."
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Andretti said afterwards: "Hunt says you don't pass on the outside in grand prix racing. Silly jerk."

I think Andretti's assessment of Hunt is pretty accurate there.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Didn't Sauber voluntarily use such a device in the wake of Wendlingers accident in Monaco way back in ????

This subsequently led to the FIA adopting the cockpit sides.

The suspesion that pierced Senna's helmet and subsequently invaded his brain may or may not have been prevented by high cockpit sides.
    The cockpit sides were additionally modified after the 2007 Australian GP. While they were already present for quite a while, the changes resulted in the cockpit sides being higher up, and moved forward, greatly decreasing a drivers peripheral vision.

See the RB1, as an example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Co...Canada2005.jpg

Compared to the RB4, in 2008: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ma...008_France.jpg

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    Sorry but I was away for the whole weekend, let me know if you want me to add a poll on this thread (don't have time to read all posts) :
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Just a racing incident, I can't lay blame at eather drivers door for this one.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pino
    Sorry but I was away for the whole weekend, let me know if you want me to add a poll on this thread (don't have time to read all posts) :
    I doubt it's necessary, but thanks for the offer. It seems that ~90% (including me) accept it was a simple racing incident.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yup,just a simple racing incident but still I wasnīt so surprised to see Webber crashing into someone. It always looks like when Webber has a poor QL or isnīt doing well for some reason,most of the time you can expect to see a collision.
    Schlesser-Aventures

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    It was introduced after the Wurz/Coulthard accident in Australia 2007.
    Article previewing the 1996 technical regulations, introducing higher cockpit sides to protect the driver:

http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft00206.html
    :burnout:

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    You need to be wheels aligned to be sure the driver you are passing has seen you , and you have no idea whether he has at all before that point .

Up until then , you have no idea whether you have won the corner , or will end up in the wall .

It makes every driver need to go in deeper , and closer to the edge of catastrophe , totally unsighted until the very last moment .

It is horribly ironic that such safety innovation has created such unsafe conditions .
    Also rather ironic are changes to mirror configurations , during this "un-sightly"(sorry) period , first from teams more concerned with the aero advantage than the safety ensured by being able to see behind you , and second , by the FIA , who were cleaning up the aero , and restoring vision , just not peripheral .

This is all during a time when drivers regularly say "I didn't see him coming" in interviews .

It's not just the aeros that make it hard to pass in F1 .

No peripheral vision causes accidents .
    F1 cars are unsafe .

Mandate a bar along the cockpit side , just above his vision , and use it to mount the mirror .
    That is two problems solved , and likely an increase in safety at the same time .

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY
    Um....this was a race, right? There wasn't an "incident" just a pass attempt.
    That is the definition of a "racing incident" no-fault contact in the normal course of racing. Incidental contact.