Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifter
    disclaimer: -- F1 fan

Ah well, the cautions had just about ruined it for me anyways. Nascar is ruining the sport throwing cautions just to get more advertising in. There may be more advertising, but I'm not watching the ads because it takes them so long to get going again, I'm in the other room not paying attention because I know I have 5+ minutes of free time while the cars go around slowly for no reason at all. Someone spinning and then rejoining without wrecking is absolutely no reason to throw a caution.
    Agreed!

I watch NASCAR when I can, but I admit the cautions are a bit excessive, it goes riight into the American frame of mind in putting as many breaks as possible. Look at the NFL it is barely watchable to me today 'cause of all the interuptions. I just channel surf during the breaks and often forget about the restarts by the time I get back.

As for theJPM/Pruett thing, pure race incident at worst. Also about teammates, in both open wheel, Nascar racing and most North American auto series, The term "teammate" is used in the loosest of all affiliations. In Nascar, the only thing making them a teammate is through ownership of the actual vehicle. These teams have separate sponsors, crews, team bosses, setups, strategies, communication and very individual goals. and are most senses of the word independant. Until I see cohesive strategy and "teamwork" I wouldn't put much stock into this being an incident amongst teamates.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72
    congrats to Montoya, pruett has no argument here. He saw JPM coming and taking the inside line he tried to slam the door closed on him thinking JPM would hard brake, but he lost. He should have conceeded the spot, tried to tail him and look for his chances in restarts just like Hamlin did. There was no way that he was going to keep JPM behind him and this incident just gives a convenient excuse. As for all those out there that deplore Montoya's actions ( or go on and on about it like Rusty Wallace on ESPN2) then I simply ask them to look at tapes of all their previous events in the last year...nay...history and tell me if this even ranks in the top 100 of controversial race incidents. I strongly recall Dale Jr., Jeff Gordon, Harvick, Robby Gordon, Stewart, the Labonte's etc all in controversial road course incidents in the past few years. Not to mention the ovals!!!
    Calling his win tarnished like Rusty Wallace did, simply goes to show that he still isn't fully embraced by the NASCAR "establishment". Serving them a taste of their own medicine. A few more race victories should silence the critics
    truefan72

I haven't been around to see all those incidents you mention but what I do know is that yes,to quote you again: Pruett saw JPM coming and taking the inside line he tried to slam the door closed on him thinking JPM would hard brake, but he lost. He should have conceeded the spot, tried to tail him and look for his chances in restarts just like Hamlin did. There was no way that he was going to keep JPM behind him and this incident just gives a convenient excuse.

mokin:
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Panosh42
    How about those tears by that lame crew chief? Had me in tears...laughing.
    He's always emotional.

You need to grow up.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who actually saw the incident?

Do not kid yourselves about that incident. Montoya wasn't anywhere close enough to make that move stick. (He was barely to the middle of the rear quarter panel). He was in the wrong 100%. There is no discussion to be had about it. Wallace looked at the thing and wanted in the worst way to call it pruett's fault or a racing incident to continue the Montoya lovefest, but he couldn't.

Would he have gotten by eventully? Yes Did he have a faster car? Yes Does that justify punting your teammate from the lead? NO!!!!!!! Montoya IS a hothead. Montoya has never been a good teammate and he never will. That kind of stuff does damage to teams that isn't necessary. CGR could have had a dominating 1-2 finish, but Montoya saw to it that they didn't.

As far as NASCAR goes, it does seem like NASCAR throws these cautions in very liberally and I suppose it might be to generate revenue.

The NASCAR racing continues to be pretty subpar. It's too bad they don;t do what real racing series do and issue penalties to drivers who bull bush-league stunts like JPM pulled today. If Pruett had been wrecked to 17th and JPM been penalized a lap or sent to the back, I wonder if Chip Ganassi would be reinforcing his driver's thug driving tactics this afternoon?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
    Those cautions at the end sure killed the flow of things...got ugly. NASCAR really needs to learn how to properly officiate a road course race, with more use of local yellows etc.
    I agree. NASCAR needs to learn how to use local yellow.

I remembered why I always record NASCAR races (or any races for that matter) and fast forward through the commericals and cautions. Saves me a lot of time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Montoya is certainly the "real deal". Can't wait for him to run at Watkins Glen and Infeneon. He'll do well in those races, and might possibly win, but then he'll have a lot stiffer competition for those races than the bunch he ran against today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by e2mtt
    Now I just want to see JPM run versus Stewart, Gordon, Gordon, Harvick, & Company.

He really did outclass the rest of the field badly today.

I think his explanation of the Pruett incident sounded about right... any way its just racing.
    can't wait either.

I was disapointed to see how Pruett reacted on camera and on the track at the end.

looked like a fool in my eyes but I will give him the benefit of the doubt once he has calmed down.

let's see what they all say tomorrow (or in a couple of days) once the dust is settled
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nascar's usage of the yellow flag is even more glaring on road course. there was a time before tv ratings and "a better show" that Nascar knew how to use the local yellow. now a one car spin is just another lame way to get a bunched up field.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    I remembered why I always record NASCAR races (or any races for that matter) and fast forward through the commericals and cautions. Saves me a lot of time.
    this week was fine, whenever ESPN2 went to commercial ESPN still had the race going on in Spanish, though I don't know what they are saying, it was nice to know I got to watch the race with only about 1 or two commercial breaks
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    Montoya is certainly the "real deal". Can't wait for him to run at Watkins Glen and Infeneon. He'll do well in those races, and might possibly win, but then he'll have a lot stiffer competition for those races than the bunch he ran against today.
    yeah, but I forgot that the CoT will be run in both races, which will level the playing field and the big road race aces will really show up for those events.
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)