Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What makes a big name driver?

Just interested in your thoughts on this. For years now, the public are only willing to accept the likes of Plato and Giovanardi as 'big name' drivers - even Colin Turkington is lucky to be considered a big name driver by some.

Obviously being champion helps, but even that doesn't always cut it I feel.
    • Is it the 'exotic flair' of having a foreign driver on the grid?[/*:m:38x31kb1]
    • Is it a 'carry over' from the super touring days, hence why Plato is so popular?[/*:m:38x31kb1]
    • Is it having a media presence outside of the BTCC a la 5th gear?[/*:m:38x31kb1]
    • Can a driver be a big name without being in a works team?[/*:m:38x31kb1]
    As I ask these questions to some admittedly big fans of the series perhaps try to consider how you think others see the series.

What are everyone's thoughts please, as we approach the first BTCC weekend in eons without a foreign driver and only 2 champions from the past decade.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySpeed
    Just interested in your thoughts on this. For years now, the public are only willing to accept the likes of Plato and Giovanardi as 'big name' drivers - even Colin Turkington is lucky to be considered a big name driver by some.

Obviously being champion helps, but even that doesn't always cut it I feel.
    • Is it the 'exotic flair' of having a foreign driver on the grid?[/*:m:3b2dsxt3]
    • Is it a 'carry over' from the super touring days, hence why Plato is so popular?[/*:m:3b2dsxt3]
    • Is it having a media presence outside of the BTCC a la 5th gear?[/*:m:3b2dsxt3]
    • Can a driver be a big name without being in a works team?[/*:m:3b2dsxt3]
    As I ask these questions to some admittedly big fans of the series perhaps try to consider how you think others see the series.

What are everyone's thoughts please, as we approach the first BTCC weekend in eons without a foreign driver and only 2 champions from the past decade.
    I have in part commented on this in another thread — that it seems some enthusiasts only want to see the big names, especially the big overseas names, in action. In my opinion, it's good to see people like Nash, Glew and MacDowall getting a chance. How else are younger drivers to develop?

Other than that, it is very disappointing that Turkington has been unable to find a drive. Is it symptomatic of a specific BTCC malaise? Not really. I would rate him above many a leading WTCC driver. And we have to remember that there was quite a lot of relative dross in the BTCC of old. I'd rather have a Tom Chilton in the championship, 'rich kid' or no, than a Gianni Morbidelli. And by comparison with the Sierra Cosworth era after which a lot of people still hanker, the driver line-up of 2010 is truly magnificent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A big name driver must be someone who has excelled in multiple high class championships and I suppose in the touring car world that means BTCC and WTCC. So you get Muller, Giovanardi, Menu, Rydell, Tarquini.
    To a lesser degree and with no disrespect it would include Huffy in that he won a few BTCC and WTCC races.
    Would Colin fit in there? Not in my mind but a few WTCC wins and he would.
    I've got friends racing all over the world.... good luck to you all.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Agree with all the names you gave examples of there Les. You could add Thompson and Priaulx to that list too. They are all guys I would gladly pay the entrance fee to watch.
    You lot still here?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Les
    A big name driver must be someone who has excelled in multiple high class championships and I suppose in the touring car world that means BTCC and WTCC. So you get Muller, Giovanardi, Menu, Rydell, Tarquini.
    To a lesser degree and with no disrespect it would include Huffy in that he won a few BTCC and WTCC races.
    Would Colin fit in there? Not in my mind but a few WTCC wins and he would.
    i disagree with you there regarding turks. Just because hes not been in the wtcc doesn't make him a lesser driver. hell were would Muller,Rydell, Menu, Tarquini be now if they hadn't of been in the BTCC.

If i may say so i think its the BTCC that made them who they are today not the WTCC. In my eyes and im sure im not the only one, the BTCC is the making of top touring car drivers.
    Rickard Rydell 2011 STCC CHAMPION!!! :D

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RMLCruzeing82
    i disagree with you there regarding turks. Just because hes not been in the wtcc doesn't make him a lesser driver. hell were would Muller,Rydell, Menu, Tarquini be now if they hadn't of been in the BTCC.

If i may say so i think its the BTCC that made them who they are today not the WTCC. In my eyes and im sure im not the only one, the BTCC is the making of top touring car drivers.
    Well, it certainly was that once. Nowadays the newer drivers in the WTCC line-up come from a variety of backgrounds. It is perfectly possible that somebody might still emerge from the BTCC, but exactly what is the calibre of the younger drivers entering the series?