Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmart
    what happen between PT and Penske?
    As I recall, he publicly spoke out about how the Penske chassis, engine and tire combo they were using was junk and suggested to Roger they go to the Reynard/Honda/Firestone. They had struggled heavily for the better part of 2 years with developing their equipment. Roger fired him after the final race of the year in Fontana. When DeFerran won the championship a couple years later (in a Reynard/Honda/Firestone) PT joked about how it was his suggestion to Roger that was the reason. It got a good laugh at the banquet...PT was right and he lost out on a championship at TKG because of it.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURN3
    As I recall, he publicly spoke out about how the Penske chassis, engine and tire combo they were using was junk and suggested to Roger they go to the Reynard/Honda/Firestone. They had struggled heavily for the better part of 2 years with developing their equipment. Roger fired him after the final race of the year in Fontana. When DeFerran won the championship a couple years later (in a Reynard/Honda/Firestone) PT joked about how it was his suggestion to Roger that was the reason. It got a good laugh at the banquet...PT was right and he lost out on a championship at TKG because of it.
    Thanks T3 for explaining the deal with Penske and PT. It's is interesting that Penske was working on Reynards since Indy 1995 trying to improve his own cars. But it was the whole package of Reynard/Honda/Firestone that was the winning combo not just the chassis. I have photos somewhere of a Reynard being tested by Penske in the late 90's.
    The Only True Triple Crown Winner-- Al Unser Sr. 1978- Indy 500, Pocono 500, Ontario 500