Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Source? "Journalists" don't need no stinkeeeeng sources!

Gary
    Probably "confidential"

Performance

At Magny-Cours in 2009, the best qualfying time for a Superleague Formula car was 1:26.391, almost 11.5 seconds slower "115.2 %" than the fastest qualifying time for an F1 car in 2008 of 1:15.024.[14] Both Superleague Formula and Formula One will be racing at Monza in 2009 where a real time comparision will be possible assuming conditions such as rain are similar. The fastest F1 time at the 2009 Italian Grand Prix happened during a dry second session of qualifying and was 1:22.955. A month later, also during a dry qualifying, the fastest SLF time at the 2009 Monza Superleague Formula round was 1:36.444, 13.5 seconds slower "116.2%".

These are a bit slower relative than an Atlantic car. Too close to call actually.

Seems they perform , based on times, a lot like an Indy Light.

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop-98
    Probably "confidential"

Performance

At Magny-Cours in 2009, the best qualfying time for a Superleague Formula car was 1:26.391, almost 11.5 seconds slower "115.2 %" than the fastest qualifying time for an F1 car in 2008 of 1:15.024.[14] Both Superleague Formula and Formula One will be racing at Monza in 2009 where a real time comparision will be possible assuming conditions such as rain are similar. The fastest F1 time at the 2009 Italian Grand Prix happened during a dry second session of qualifying and was 1:22.955. A month later, also during a dry qualifying, the fastest SLF time at the 2009 Monza Superleague Formula round was 1:36.444, 13.5 seconds slower "116.2%".

These are a bit slower relative than an Atlantic car. Too close to call actually.

Seems they perform , based on times, a lot like an Indy Light.

rh
    What kind of power do the Superleague cars run?

Also, I remember it was floating around here years ago that when the IRL first looked at putting the Dallara on the road course at Road Ohio, the first test had it barely as fast as an Atlantic. Now I wonder about the veracity of that but I believed it naively at the time.....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    What kind of power do the Superleague cars run?

Also, I remember it was floating around here years ago that when the IRL first looked at putting the Dallara on the road course at Road Ohio, the first test had it barely as fast as an Atlantic. Now I wonder about the veracity of that but I believed it naively at the time.....
    It has about the same power as the Panoz but the engine is a lot heavier and longer than the cosworth.

The acceleration should be similar to an Indycar but either for aero, or balance (big heavy engine in rear) it's on-track times where we can compare it to GP2's and f1's were extremely slow.

You think you may have been mislead by a certain clique eh lol....

Cars are cars, times are times, and they are what they are.

The types of tracks make a lot of difference, the DP01 was faster than the Lola on 1/2 the tracks, slower on the other half.

A narrow car with lots of downforce straightens out chicanes and esses real well, but would look a lot slower on acceleration and fast tracks.

Bends made to slow down a champ car might be flat in an .016.

I did my best to approximate performance levels above, no idea why the DP09 Ferrari is so slow.

Also for a 4.2 Litre V12 engine to make only 25-50 more HP than the old 3.5 Indys at 1400 more RPM makes no sense.

Either the car has low aero, bad balance, the track was 6 seconds off the 4 times (although all were dry sessions) we have times for, or the advertised data for the car is optimistic.

Maybe those are ponys not horses, I do not know.

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The panoz was only raced for one year and no one was allowed to develop it. How much faster would it have been if it had been around for another year and the teams were allowed to do some updates on it.

I think it was a very good car that never got to show its true speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritone
    The panoz was only raced for one year and no one was allowed to develop it. How much faster would it have been if it had been around for another year and the teams were allowed to do some updates on it.

I think it was a very good car that never got to show its true speed.
    What does good or bad mean?

They wanted a cheaper car that lapped faster, they removed the aero restrictions.

All cars until then 'went too fast" and got penalized.

Look at the tunnel exits of it and a Lola, with that dimension no telling how fast a Lola would be.

If we still ran 2001 rules Indycars would be setting Ken's "new track record"!!

The cars go as fast as they do because of rules, not good or better.

With Champcar rules F1 cars would be off the scale fast.

The last 2 sentences are my opinion...

rh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    To the original topic, I believe this highlights why the IndyCar Series needs leadership that not only understands the history & tradition of open-wheel racing but also a grasp on the present with an eye for the future. That certainly isn't residing with the current leadership....at least by all visible indications.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop-98
    No formula Anthony, go check track times..... why not name your source, I'd like to email him/her?
    Soon enough. The interview will be broadcast in the spring.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Soon enough. The interview will be broadcast in the spring.
    Wouldn't wanna bust your big secret, lol, btw, did you ask him/her why they (The SLF) were so slow at Magny-Cours and Monza?

rh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Source? "Journalists" don't need no stinkeeeeng sources!

Gary
    Why should he need them? If a guy with a website says it then it must be true...
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    I already did. You can breath now.
    Oh did you? I seem to recall you giving me estimates & constantly trying to change the subject to the Indy 500. But, whatever, if you were with an actually news organization it might have expected more.
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...