Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Fiero, Prince Andrew is currently the UK's or royal family's official respresentative for international trade and investment. Although this may be his official job of sorts it appears to me that he spends most of his time either playing golf or using helicopters to fly a 15 minute jouney by road. I do belive his golf handicap is low enough for him to become a professional. In quite like the royal family but Andrew does seem to be an exception to my general rule along with Princess Michael of Kent.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    Fiero, Prince Andrew is currently the UK's or royal family's official respresentative for international trade and investment. Although this may be his official job of sorts it appears to me that he spends most of his time either playing golf or using helicopters to fly a 15 minute jouney by road. I do belive his golf handicap is low enough for him to become a professional. In quite like the royal family but Andrew does seem to be an exception to my general rule along with Princess Michael of Kent.
    Grid Girl, you and I may never know what Andrew does, but I can tell you that his life isn't likely to be as simple as you think. Living in a fishbowl does have its downside, and the royals manage to put up with that in ways most people couldn't handle.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiero 5.7
    If Prince Charles inherited the throne, do you think he would be far more active in making Britain a stronger, more viable entity than it is now? Do you think he would try to generate larger export markets while increasing production at home? I guess I'm asking would he actively market Britain and would that be a good thing?
    What exactly would he do? What exactly would he be able to do? He'd have no power to change anything, all he'd have is an opinion.

IMHO if Prince Charles inherits the throne, he'll be the last king we have. He'll be a major embarrassment to the country and people will turn against the monarchy.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Prince Charles will be an embarrassment as King. William will be better.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Although supposed to remain politically neutral, there have been several 'leaks' regarding the Queen's own views. It's fairly well-known she was against the Iraq War and got fed up with Tony Blair, and never got on well with Maggie Thatcher, who apparently remarked she was 'the type of woman who votes for the SDP' (now the Liberal Democrats).

Charles on the other hand has never been afraid of airing his views on various subjects, the environment and the threat of global warming in paticular, and now I see several of the papers claim he was also vehemently opposed to the Iraq invasion. (As I understand it, as a member of the privy council he would have had access to the same 'intelligence' as the government.)

I think there will be a real debate about the future of the monarchy and their constitutional position when the Queen finally dies. I suspect skipping Charles for William might soothe some of the critics, but I'm not sure some of the other countries in the Commonwealth will be keen to carry on having the British Monarch as head of state.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTCC Fan#1
    Although supposed to remain politically neutral, there have been several 'leaks' regarding the Queen's own views. It's fairly well-known she was against the Iraq War and got fed up with Tony Blair, and never got on well with Maggie Thatcher, who apparently remarked she was 'the type of woman who votes for the SDP' (now the Liberal Democrats).

Charles on the other hand has never been afraid of airing his views on various subjects, the environment and the threat of global warming in paticular, and now I see several of the papers claim he was also vehemently opposed to the Iraq invasion. (As I understand it, as a member of the privy council he would have had access to the same 'intelligence' as the government.)

I think there will be a real debate about the future of the monarchy and their constitutional position when the Queen finally dies. I suspect skipping Charles for William might soothe some of the critics, but I'm not sure some of the other countries in the Commonwealth will be keen to carry on having the British Monarch as head of state.
    I figure that once the Queen is gone, Canada will be looking to dump the monarchy unless Charles passes the crown down to one of the sons. Apparently William isn't really crazy on the job, and Harry understands it and would like it. Maybe Wills would be the best choice.....just on that alone...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Apparently William isn't really crazy on the job, and Harry understands it and would like it. Maybe Wills would be the best choice.....just on that alone...
    If Harry becomes King I doubt even the UK will be keeping them!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My opinion is that this is probably the best thread I've ever started. It's educational and the insights that have been offered aren't the kind found in books and magazines. Mark, it's nice having you unemployed and online.

Regardless of what the Commonwealth feels, I think much of the rest of the world holds the English Royal Family with a higher level of esteem than any other Royal Family in the world. I think the Monarchy is one of the things that continues to make Britain special. Once you do away with the royals, you might as well be Poland.

Ok, you've said Prince Charles would be a mistake as king. Why? Do his sons still have to marry a royal or has that been dropped?
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Prince Charles is just too old fashioned and outspoken. His comments on modern architecture alone justify this.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    As such a government is only in power at the express request of the queen. However this is all really procedural and she has no real power.
    But only by convention.

Because there aren't any written rules and no constitution which binds the parliament, then the Queen's influence is only determined by the expected methods of behaviour (in the UK).
    Victoria had a very big influence on who was and wasn't Prime Minister. Gladstone, Melbourne and Disraeli all found this out.

Quote Originally Posted by BTCC Fan#1
    Personally I doubt it. Charles will move into the monarchy as an old man much the same way as Edward VII did. Similar threads of republicanism ran through society then as well and here we are 108 years later...
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!