Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

New points scheme for 2010

A new scoring system was put forward which will award 25 points to each race winner, 20 for second place, 15 for third and 10 for fourth, before descending 8-6-5-3-2-1 for fifth through 10th positions.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80521

Seems like a drastic change but does reward winners more. With 26 cars there's more for the new guys to scrap over too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by christophulus
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80521

Seems like a drastic change but does reward winners more. With 26 cars there's more for the new guys to scrap over too.
    It doesn't really reward winners more. 25 points is 2.5 times 10 points. 20 points is 2.5 times 8 points. 15 points is 2.5 times 6 points. When you get to 4th, 5th and 6th these are merely doubled. So the top three are reward more compared to others but the gap between the top three points is proportionally the same.

Personally I like the idea, it will make it a little easier for smaller teams to get on the scoreboard but they will still have to work very hard for it.
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Is this for real? Change it all again???
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    makes sense, given the expanded grid, to award some points further down the order, and it sure beats the daft medals idea.

before anyone asks, it wouldn't have changed the outcome of 2009, the only changes would be Trulli would beat Rosberg to 7th, Glock beats Alonso to 9th, Heidfield and Kubica tie for 13th and Nakajima and Piquet both get points (piquet only one point)
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My pic ... 1st 20, 2nd 17, 3rd 15, 4th 10, 5th 8, 6th 6, 7th, 4, 8th 3, 9th 2, 10th 1

Rewards the winner and the podium
    Don't waste your time having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic
    Is this for real? Change it all again???
    and again, and again, and again I've lost count of the tweaks that have been done to the points system
    2009? wriggly-wriggly for MSVR
    2010? the same unless something of interest returns to "The Rock"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't love it but it's an awful lot better than Bernie's idea that he tried to impose on everyone. If there actually are 26 cars throughout the season then it would make more sense to give out top 10 points. Back when there used to be 26 cars, half of them would break down. That hardly ever happens now.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    makes sense, given the expanded grid,
    Expanded Grid?

The last time we actually had the full 26 cars on the grid was Monaco 1995, after the demise of Simtek. Grids were limited to 26 back in 1976, whilst the 107% rule was introduced in 1996.
    I don't understand why points are being extended, when the number of cars is only just back to a "normal" grid.

If anything there will probably some sort of calculation around the points system to link it to TV money, and linking it to the number of points the teams score. That way because everything has been skewed upwards, the "bigger" teams are likely to get a bigger slice of the pie.

Winning drivers and teams will always end up on top (except for one year when Prost was penalised for being more consistent than Senna), and I think that this is a farce.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I don't understand why points are being extended, when the number of cars is only just back to a "normal" grid.
    Makes for better marketing and show.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Too extreme a jump in my view, you may as well rip up Schumacher's record of 1369 if they introduce that seeing champions would score in excess of 300 points to win the title

Id go with this, it would fit in with Bernie's vision of rewarding race winners more

1st - 15
    2nd - 10
    3rd - 8
    4th - 7
    5th - 6
    6th - 5
    7th - 4
    8th - 3
    9th - 2
    10th - 1
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)