Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMS continuing rehab of the house that TG built

Ron Green, Director of PR for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was released after an eleven year stint as the spokesperson for the facility which includes the Greatest Spectacle in Racing.

CEO Jeff Belkus is reported on IndyStar.com to say the release of Green and other significant staff reductions were necessary to offset recent financial losses.

Ron was hired by Leo Mehl to manage PR for the then PepBoys Indy Racing League in 1999 as well as the Speedway.

There still hasn't been a significant position taken by Belskus other than there will be no change. Except, and awful lot of heads are rolling.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You'd think with more money coming in now they'd have stopped the bloodflow but apparently not.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Think Wilf has it right. IMS had amassed a talented staff over the years. Like every other company in the world, finances dictate what you can do, so I think Belskus is just being honest about that.......Green was there 11 years, so he did the job and kept it going for a long time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    Think Wilf has it right. IMS had amassed a talented staff over the years. Like every other company in the world, finances dictate what you can do, so I think Belskus is just being honest about that.......Green was there 11 years, so he did the job and kept it going for a long time.
    If you ask me, it's a bit difficult to call those associated with a money losing business talented. Most talented people would migrate to greener pastures. I'm pretty certain the team was/is stacked with those that served at the wishes of the grandson.

I think the new CEO is trying to make a go of a pretty crappy situation.
    Don't waste your time having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well then, a whole bunch of companies are on the ropes right now in this economy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Changes have been badly needed, especially in the PR & Marketing departments. Whether this reflects shotty performance or simply cost-cutting is unknown. We'll now be able to better see if some of these positions were held hostage by previous management or if it was just incompetence.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blancvino
    If you ask me, it's a bit difficult to call those associated with a money losing business talented. Most talented people would migrate to greener pastures.
    Why? Ever hear of loyalty? Or believing in what you are doing DESPITE the economics? Business history is full of stories of people who toughed it out to make their business a success. Just as there are plenty of stories of carpet baggers who move from job to job worried only about their own personal wealth.

I'm not making any comment here on the particulars of those leaving the IRL, just more of a general reaction to your quote above.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Why? Ever hear of loyalty? Or believing in what you are doing DESPITE the economics? Business history is full of stories of people who toughed it out to make their business a success. Just as there are plenty of stories of carpet baggers who move from job to job worried only about their own personal wealth.

I'm not making any comment here on the particulars of those leaving the IRL, just more of a general reaction to your quote above.

Gary
    If you worked for a company that was clearly in the crapper would you not start looking for a better place to hang your hat? I got to question "talent" that is willing to stay.

The business history of the IRL is about the same as Champcar if you ask me ... worthless. Would you stick around?

There is a glimmer of hope that the Izod program may produce fruit. A complete "do over" seems to be in order, if you ask me.
    Don't waste your time having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh, Blancvino, how can you even tell about each of several hundred employees of a place and their individual talents? We all know people, in these economic times, who have lost their jobs and it hasn't been based on merit or demerit. Many of those people worked their fannies off to do their part in bringing together the split, no small feat in a short period of time. Good luck to those at IMS -- and Joe's Axle Shop and Nostradamus Fudge Company, etc., in landing something that works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blancvino
    If you worked for a company that was clearly in the crapper would you not start looking for a better place to hang your hat? I got to question "talent" that is willing to stay.

The business history of the IRL is about the same as Champcar if you ask me ... worthless. Would you stick around?

There is a glimmer of hope that the Izod program may produce fruit. A complete "do over" seems to be in order, if you ask me.
    In 2002 Ron Green left IndyCar to concentrate on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Since then he watched the Michilen man take the air out of the F1 race which was followed shortly thereafter by Goodyear forgetting they were responsible for bringing tires that lasted longer than 25 miles.

While I can't say it was Ron's doing, the attendance for the Greatest Spectacle in Racing has strongly rebounded after several years of decline. Me thinks some people are painting with a pretty broad brush.