Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aryan
    I think you are misreading the situation.

Here is what James Allen thinks:

"[These] decisions show that Williams is pointing forwards with confidence. This weekend they have announced a strategic tie up here in the Middle East with the Qatar Science and Technology Park, where Williams will establish a Williams Technology Centre.

Two F1 related R&D programmes will be carried out there; one into the flywheel energy regeneration system they have been working on for a couple of years now, the other developing a simulator for race and road use. Williams and QSTP will jointly fund the centre and with share commercial revenues. It underlines the assertion I’ve been making for some time that Williams is a team of the future."
    http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/1...ews-to-follow/

A team which is struggling to pay for its engines will not enter into a strategic alliance to build and fund a major R&D centre. It is quite clear to me that Williams chose Cosworth in preference to both, Toyota and Renault. Maybe they know something about the cossie that you and I don't?

JA also says:

"...as a new engine, the technical team at Cosworth are allowed to continue developing the engine until March 1 next year, which gives them a lot of time to improve the product. Existing F1 engines are frozen.

Although reliability is unproven and there is no track testing allowed, the team at Cosworth has been supplemented recently by many engineers returning from other engine programmes, such as Mercedes’ in Brixworth. "
    Color me sceptical on the deeper meaning of the anouncements Allen passes on.

Did Williams actually put any money in the center in Quatar? Or is their presence government funded to seed a new commercial development in a very difficult market for attaining new tenants? The programs mentioned are ones Williams was working on already - the new R&D center would only require some work stations, some cubicle space and an Internet connection. (Much like posting on this forum! )

And the technical team at Cosworth is so new they are still looking for their desks. After they find them, that new team has 4 months to catch up on 3 years worth of F1 engine developments, including reliability requirements that the 2006 Cosworth engines would have failed.

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aryan
    I think you are misreading the situation.

Here is what James Allen thinks:

"[These] decisions show that Williams is pointing forwards with confidence. This weekend they have announced a strategic tie up here in the Middle East with the Qatar Science and Technology Park, where Williams will establish a Williams Technology Centre.
    Honestly how good is the "Qatar Science and Technology Park" when compared with the European, Japanese and American scientific excellence centers?
    It sounds good as a marketing move but that's all.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    Only that Qatar doesn't have to go round begging for money. They're rolling in it from all of their Oil/Natural Gas production so they can afford to bring Williams in as a partner and not ask them for any money.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by veeten
    Only that Qatar doesn't have to go round begging for money. They're rolling in it from all of their Oil/Natural Gas production so they can afford to bring Williams in as a partner and not ask them for any money.
    Money can't buy wisdom and knowledge to the extent needed to rival the established research centers.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Money can't buy wisdom and knowledge to the extent needed to rival the established research centers.
    But in their current financial state, it may be able to rent WilliamsF1!

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens