Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Driver Contracts

By and large, a contract is a legal agreement between two or more parties for the benefit and protection of the involved parties that usually involve the exchange of goods and/or services for some form of valuable consideration. Although legally binding, unbreached contracts can be easily dissolved if all parties involved agree to do so. Ultimately, a contract forces a party to continue in an agreement that is no longer to their liking or benefit.

I have never seen a Formula 1 driver's contract. As far as I know, I don't know anybody that has actually seen or read a Formula 1 driver's contract. Are they direct employees of the team, sub-contractors, individuals under personal services contracts, or are they employees of a desk drawer corporation that lives in Switzerland or Monaco?

People talk about the driver contracted to be number 1 or number 2 driver on a team. Has anybody actually seen this? Everybody from the Ferrari dream team days says there was nothing in the contracts making Michael #1 and Rubens #2 drivers. The same for Alonso and Hamilton at McLaren. I can understand various performance standards being used to determine which of the drivers the team would consider to be their #1 driver but that is specific to ability, not the driver per se.

How do all you people know whats in the contract that allows you to speak so assuredly of a driver's status and the team's expectations? Where are they posted? I'd like to read one. I'd like to see a contract that specifies a driver must always support the other driver, in all areas, including the distribution of new and improved parts. I could easily see something in the contract that requires a driver to abide by team decisions for the benefit of the team but thats not an outright designation of #1 or #2.

Who has a copy of a contract?
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Ive only ever seen one F1 driver contract although I have seen quite a few contracts for F1 testing and other formula.

I don't know who else has a copy of the contract for definate but the one I saw was at the drivers solicitors. I was picking pot luck client numbers at random out of my head when I picked the driver in question's client number. He is still in F1 although the contact I saw is now some years out of date and the driver is with a different team.

The contrcts aren't that huge in length and payments are disclosed in US dollars. This was a bid odd because the driver or the team in question you would assume wouldn't use the dollar as a functional currency ordinarily. I suppose it's just a common denominator.

You would actually be suprised how much contract related stuff is conducted through email. I've seen informal f1 driver agreement on emails in the past too.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p