Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GM to shut down saturn

2009 Truck Pick'em Champion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Will be interesting how this affects the Opel sale.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    GM had to shut down Saturn, because Saturn sold the Astra. Just like GM also had to shut down Pontiac because they were selling the G8 and previously the GTO.

The American car industry has lagged behind the rest of the world in terms of innovation and quality build for years. When the General was shown that it's own subsidiaries were producing quality product that made their own domestic produce look like kaka, the managers at Detroit decided that they had to kill it all off.

I hope that Opel/Vauxhall is sold off, because they don't need to be dragging along the lumbering Detroit Dinosaur. If Opel were to sell cars to the US directly, they might make a killing.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    GM had to shut down Saturn, because Saturn sold the Astra. Just like GM also had to shut down Pontiac because they were selling the G8 and previously the GTO.

The American car industry has lagged behind the rest of the world in terms of innovation and quality build for years. When the General was shown that it's own subsidiaries were producing quality product that made their own domestic produce look like kaka, the managers at Detroit decided that they had to kill it all off.

I hope that Opel/Vauxhall is sold off, because they don't need to be dragging along the lumbering Detroit Dinosaur. If Opel were to sell cars to the US directly, they might make a killing.
    They did once. That was not pretty...it was the early 70's....and they were small bad cars as opposed to large bad cars that the Big 3 built.

The Astra and G8 are awesome cars...but no one in Detroit ever seemed to grasp that they could build those cars instead of some of the dreck they forced the company to build.

One of the greatest wastes of resources going GM was....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".