Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Liked 581 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodeye
    And exactly because of attitudes like this accidents happen.

The attitude should be that tragic accidents shouldn't happen ever in rally - at least to spectators. The main point of organizers of rallies should be to direct spectators to places where they simply cannot get hit by a car. Some areas should be banned completely and for professionals spotting these places is easy as a walk in the park.

A rally is no place to be a heroic spectators and to play a superman watching the cars as close as possible. That's no heroism, that's pure stupidity.
    In the main I agree, however, as rally fans everywhere will know, there just is not anywhere at a rally stage that is completely safe, nor will there ever be. Cars going quickly down roads = dangerous.

The problem is that when you start restricting some parts of stages (which I agree with) then where do you stop? In the end there would be no spectating allowed. Unfortunately cars have a habit of going off where you least expect it, I have seen cars crash on straight flat bits of road with no obvious reason for it.

Education is the key.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts

RIP to the young girl
    Condolences to family
    Good luck to Mikkelsen and codriver

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    In the main I agree, however, as rally fans everywhere will know, there just is not anywhere at a rally stage that is completely safe, nor will there ever be. Cars going quickly down roads = dangerous.

The problem is that when you start restricting some parts of stages (which I agree with) then where do you stop? In the end there would be no spectating allowed. Unfortunately cars have a habit of going off where you least expect it, I have seen cars crash on straight flat bits of road with no obvious reason for it.

Education is the key.
    I've seen some spectator areas which are in silly positions, or overly crowded. At least when you roam free it is possible to stand away from others and have the space to leggit.

Like it or not there will always be accidents and tragedies, none of us want them and work is being done to reduce them. Accepting that it is a dangerous sport is actually a key part of reducing fatalities, people that understand the risks will be able to judge risk better whereas penning everyone into one spot will make people less aware of the dangers that they face on a stage.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 1,787 Times in 423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE

Education is the key.
    Yeah, I was witness when one driver went off in the middle of the straight road before the jump in one of Estonian rallies this year. It was Civic Type-R, it was.. now it is completely destroyed. Something in suspension broke and car turned off the road in the middle of the tree stumps. Luckily everybody were ok. It was the first stage of the rally, first km and after the first corner.
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodeye
    And exactly because of attitudes like this accidents happen.

The attitude should be that tragic accidents shouldn't happen ever in rally - at least to spectators. The main point of organizers of rallies should be to direct spectators to places where they simply cannot get hit by a car. Some areas should be banned completely and for professionals spotting these places is easy as a walk in the park.

A rally is no place to be a heroic spectators and to play a superman watching the cars as close as possible. That's no heroism, that's pure stupidity.
    here in greece a few weeks back a truck lost its wheel on the highway...the wheel travelled 6 lanes of highway of traffic and hit 2 austrian motorbikers who where resting at a highway resting area.....

Accidents will happen no matter what....slowing the cars down or moving spectators to areas where its like watching a rally on tv it won;t change things

Can we please sperate the thread of the little girl with the comments about the safety...i don;t find it proper to talk/argue about safety in a thread made for the poor little girl and her family.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T
    Can we please sperate the thread of the little girl with the comments about the safety...i don;t find it proper to talk/argue about safety in a thread made for the poor little girl and her family.
    +1
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.