Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expense claims

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Expense claims

Our papers are once again full of details regarding MPs' expenses claims (at least the ones which aren't fixating on an inflatable orange slapper and her tone-deaf soon-to-be ex-husband).

This time it's the Conservatives' turn in the spotlight and they're doing nothing to dispel the stereotype of out-of-touch toffs, the claims including maintenance on swimming pools, tennis courts, a chandelier and that most basic of essentials - a moat.

Now I guess we've all (ahem) exaggerated the odd expense claim here and there - whether it be claiming for a couple of extra miles on a journey or sticking that spare laptop battery down as an essential work item. Or is that just me?

When I relocated for an old job I managed to convince them that I needed four months in a rather sy hotel while I was searching for somewhere to live, and when I found a property I convinced the company that I'd need a burglar alarm fitted; but beyond that I've always been fairly straight with my claims.

So, what's the most extravagant thing you've ever managed to claim?
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    tbh I usually end up under claiming for most things. As I can't be bothered to keep the receipts or just don't think it's worth it.

For example last weekend I went to Leeds for a work meeting. The train fare cost me £2.50 return because I was already staying on the outskirts of Leeds. I could have claimed it, but I didn't, because, well what's £2.50?!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm more like Mark and tend to not claim things I consider insignifigant or items I'd purchase anyway.

The last few temp jobs I have worked paid what is called a "per diem" which is a fixed amount of tax free money paid for every day worked as long as it doesn't run longer than a year. With a per diem you can't claim expenses unless they run over the per diem amount. Taking my 26 foot camping trailer and setting up in a small park where the electric, water, and cable tv hook ups are provided for $20.00 a day for 14 days while being paid $100.00 per diem....well, Sweetie and I don't go through $80.00 of food per day. The per diem is paid in addition to your regular wage or salary. It's a nice way to go.
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There's a rather good video of Stephen Fry giving his take on this on the BBC website which I actually find myself agreeing with.

There are around 700 MP's, most of them are going to have claimed something 'ordinary people' would find 'ridiculous' on expenses, and I get the feeling the Daily Telegraph is going to drag this out as long as possible in an effort to sell papers. Frankly, I already find it rather silly, especially as the paper leading this furore is owned by a pair of petty tax-evaders. (Look up the recent elections on the Channel Island of Sark to see what I mean)

It's my understanding that most of what MP's have claimed for isn't illegal under the current rules, and hasn't directly affected the way they do their job. I accept a number of cases with mortgage 'flipping' probably do verge on fraudulent and they should be dealt with, and the rules tweaked to ensure it doesn't happen again. But this sudden hand-wringing about it all is getting a bit tedious. It's as if some people have only just woken up to the fact the Parliamentary Tory party is full of people who actually DO have the money to own moats and chandeliers..

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Where I work you can't get away with claiming stupid expenses. As a manger I vouch all mileage, travel, parking, subsistence and any other sundry items that the staff working on my clients are submitting for reasonableness. My expenses are in turn vouched by the partner relating to each particlar client. I'll change expenses if someone is having a laugh in terms of mileage but I rarely have to do it. We also have to provide a minimum of 25% of petrol receipts to back up mileage claims and anything else will not be accepted if you don't have a receipt.

Although MP's are taking the Mick when it comes to what they are claiming they aren't the only ones. My clients are just as bad. For example I recently had a car dealership with a fixed asset addition in the year of around £3500 for a ride on lawnmower. To which I then had to ask the question of where is the grass? The accountant then pointed out of the window to a 30m long strip of grass that was about 1m wide which hardly required more than a strimmer to cut in about 15 minutes. When I said that I wanted to physically see it I was told it was at the directors house.

The example above is just the tip of the iceberg although I have to say there are a few exceptions by some of my clients such as football clubs and motor sports teams but then again that's only because they get quite alot of tax investigations and can't get away with anything. I suppose for everyone else it's fair game if they can get away with it and the same applies to MP's.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I had to travel to Israel for work some years ago, for a couple of weeks. The idea was we were given an allowance each day. Basically the software company were generous enough to pay all our meals, so I bought some Oakley sunglasses at the airport, but the receipt was in hebrew so I said one person paid each night as I knew no-one would be able to read it...

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I have never claimed for anything inappropriate - even when I was working for an MP! I too probably end up a bit out of pocket most of the time, but it's my choice to go on reporting trips for which I claim, and I enjoy it.

The MPs' expenses story really disgusts me on a number of levels, I have to say. The point above about the Barclay brothers who own the Telegraph is an excellent one. The idea of anybody being lectured at by a paper owned by them when it comes to probity and integrity is simply laughable. MPs deserve to have some assistance in the provision of accommodation in London, because not all of them can afford to purchase somewhere close to Westminster when they are first elected, having been teachers, social workers or whatever. There is also the fact that MPs are all being tarred with the same brush, which is most unfair. The one I was employed by for three-and-a-half years, and many others, are extremely hard-working people. The same goes for their staff, who, if the MP is as busy as he or she ought to be, are largely overworked and underpaid. Forget the notion of MPs and their staff doing nothing during the long summer recess - in my experience, it's nonsense.

But, as ever, there are quite a few rotten apples in the basket, and some of the claims made, not to mention the responses to them, beggar belief as far as I'm concerned. Many of the items claimed have nothing to do with improving the ability of any individual to do their job of being an MP, and this is where the line should be drawn. Yes, you may need to have some gardening done at your primary residence as notified to the Parliamentary authorities, but how the hell can an expenses claim for that gardening work ever be justified? The same goes for bath robes, boilers, mock Tudor beams and all the other items mentioned thus far. Are those MPs who have claimed for such things suggesting that everybody in work follow suit, and ask their employers to pay for household items? There is no special justification for MPs being able to do so, and they should not be allowed to.

And as for this business of 'flipping' your designated primary residence from one to another, or making money through the sale of a property whose purchase and running costs were funded whether in part or in full by Parliament - well, I think it's utterly disgraceful and totally indefensible.

For me, the most incredible comment to come out of all of this is from the Conservative MP for Peterborough, Stewart Jackson: "The pool came with the house and I needed to know how to run it. Once I was shown that one time, there were no more claims. I take care of the pool myself. I believe this represents 'value for money' for the taxpayer." Here's a radical idea, Mr Jackson, in the name of giving everyone 'value for money': why not f*** off out of Parliament in favour of someone who doesn't believe that making an expenses claim for being shown how to use a swimming pool is an acceptable use of the public purse?

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    ...So, what's the most extravagant thing you've ever managed to claim?
    A trip to Hawaii...
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I only ever claim for fuel when I actually decide to use my own car, and I'm not even one of those people who go somewhere on the way to work but claim as if it was from the office.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The reason the MPs and other politicians "get tarred with the same brush" is because they are aware of it, allow it continue, and remain mum about it until something like this happens and forces their hand.

If your neighbor is robbing banks and you have knowledge of it and keep quiet about it, just what brush would you prefer to be tarred with?
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.