The two-session qualifying was very simple, compared to what we currently have. I just used to think of it as one big two hour session, split across two days, the cars would line up in order of fastest time, regardless of when it was set, a lot simpler than the current "knockout" system we have.

To be honest probably the only drawback to the system (and I'm guessing why it was dropped) was that the first 20 or so minutes of an hour-long session would be tumbleweed time as the big boys waited for the track to be rubbered-down, usually by the minnows, followed by a big rush at the end. This was made worse by the ruling in 1993 that limited drivers to 12 laps per qualifying session.

Also Friday was usually less intense, as people expected to go quicker the following day, BUT when Saturday then rained, just as happened in Phoenix, you got some interesting looking lineups, without having to resort to reverse grids or race-fuel qualifying, while it was partly in Phoenix due to Pirelli qualifying rubber (Martini 2nd, Alesi...3rd/4th off the top of my head, De Cesaris up there too), the grid for Phoenix in 1990 was REALLY messed up, IIRC Nigel Mansell's Ferrari was outqualified by Moreno's EuroBrun, and the Williamses were outqualified by Grouillard's Osella. Moreno and *I think* Grouillard were on Pirellis too but were still much higher up than they'd normally be expected to be.

Still, it made for some good excitement looking back at it, starting quietly then gradually building to a period of intense drama right at the end.

And no race fuel loads either