Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast
    Liked 11,214 Times in 4,451 Posts
    dimvii: Gr.B era is not very good example. Yes, it was totaly crazy and therefore exstatic but also proved that this was no way further.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii
    agree OldF,but the costs for an unrestricted 1,6 lit is it going to be lower?
    are they more fatories come to wrc?
    thats the problems of today wrc.
    not enough factories,too expensive for them,and finally no spectators=> no sponsors=> no tv interesting=> todays wrc.

Thaht’s the question? How to get more manufactures interested in WRC. IMO one way is to make it more easily for new manufacturers to join the series -> make the technical regulations so as the newcomers can achieve results more easily than now. Nowadays the cars are so fine-tuned as allowed by the regulations that it would take several years for a newcomer to get at the same level. And that’s key question IMO.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 1,370 Times in 713 Posts
    So what is to prefer:

WRC as today, with 2-4 manufacurers
    or
    S2000 with 8-10 manufacurers

For me the answer is easy, since the speed and technology is coming second to the tight fighting for victory btw the worlds best drivers.

If that fight happens 30 km/h slower, in a less sophisticated car that a privateer team can serve - that is perfect for me !

I like to see that the divers have to struggle to get the car to go fast, not just floor the right pedal !

MJW
    I still hope that FIA introduce penalties to the WRC cars in 2010 to discourage their use. I know both Citroen and Ford have competitive WR cars but this change to S2000 to encourage new teams and more drivers cant be delayed. Most in motorsport will ensure their cars are the ultimate as everyone wants to win, the situation with allowing WR cars in the 2010 championship is precisely what will drive manufacturers to test and develop the cars out of the competitive eye in 2010 and start 2011 with very well developed and equally expensive S200 cars. Please FIA / ISC or whoever give the S2000 cars (manufacturers) a chance in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    So what is to prefer:

WRC as today, with 2-4 manufacurers
    or
    S2000 with 8-10 manufacurers

For me the answer is easy, since the speed and technology is coming second to the tight fighting for victory btw the worlds best drivers.

If that fight happens 30 km/h slower, in a less sophisticated car that a privateer team can serve - that is perfect for me !

I like to see that the divers have to struggle to get the car to go fast, not just floor the right pedal !
    If I had to choose from those two it would be the S2000.

Quote Originally Posted by dimviii
    agree OldF,but the costs for an unrestricted 1,6 lit is it going to be lower?
    I think it’s possible. The engine is the most expensive part of a WRC car but there are several other components like the gearbox (for example the Subaru’s gearbox costs 100.000 €) and other things that make the WRC car expensive. The WRC teams are putting a lot of effort on making the engine lighter and instead put some ballasts to the rear (in front of the rear axle). Lot of parts are designed and manufactured in-house and every team making this increase the costs.

This all can be made less expensive by changing the way things are done. For example in the case of a S2000, there is a maximum price for the parts. If the teams use more common suppliers, who design and manufacturers the parts, the costs will go down. If I remember right there are three suppliers (Sadev, X-Trac and Ricardo) for S2000 gearboxes and there is max price for the gearbox. Continuing in this direction for other common parts as dampers, turbos etc. I believe the costs will drop essentially without loosing a lot of the performance. For example if a team / manufacturer develop their own dampers they would be obligated to sell the dampers to anyone else to a predetermined max price. FIA could maintain a list of “FIA approved” suppliers and parts that would be available for everyone. To become a “FIA approved” supplier the manufacturer of a part has to homologate and sell the part for a predetermined max price. There could also be a min weight for the engine (as is the case today for the S2000 gearbox and rear differential) or front / rear weight distribution (front / rear = 55% / 45%) that prevents teams / manufacturers putting a lot of effort taking off few grams here and there to make the engine lighter.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good idea, as long as its not going to be like the FIA approved tires, where the highest bidders gets to the be the sole supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by tmx
    Good idea, as long as its not going to be like the FIA approved tires, where the highest bidders gets to the be the sole supplier.
    That was not quite what I had in my mind. What I had in mind was that there could be several suppliers for gearboxes, turbos, dampers etc. as long as they are ready to sell them at a predetermined price.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I know that the WRC needs a lot of improvements on many sides: regulations, technical, sporting and media aspects. BUT.

But, in the last couple of days we've seen the Citroen Road Show in Buenos Aires, Argentina. More than 50.000 people itz a very good result for the promotion and an improvement of the "image" of the series and the teams. Itz much more spectacular!

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it was much, much better than the boring Superspecials in the stadiums. Lots of people, donuts and a lot of pics taken by the fans (=sponsors' happyness).

Stop to the Superspecials, go ahead with the Road Shows, better organised and less expensive (4 or 5 times cheaper than the green circuits...)!

[Youtube]A2FpIypzonI[/Youtube]

[Youtube]CCUKrS8vVLs[/Youtube]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was at Rally Ireland, I spent 4 hours waiting to meet Loeb outside the Citroen service area before the final Friday stages were cancelled, he pulled up and walked into the Hospitality area without meeting the fans. Then they have this "Road Show" bull over in Argentina meeting fans? When people see this happening, it doesnt help the WRC's popularity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorsportfun
    I know that the WRC needs a lot of improvements on many sides: regulations, technical, sporting and media aspects. BUT.

But, in the last couple of days we've seen the Citroen Road Show in Buenos Aires, Argentina. More than 50.000 people itz a very good result for the promotion and an improvement of the "image" of the series and the teams. Itz much more spectacular!

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it was much, much better than the boring Superspecials in the stadiums. Lots of people, donuts and a lot of pics taken by the fans (=sponsors' happyness).

Stop to the Superspecials, go ahead with the Road Shows, better organised and less expensive (4 or 5 times cheaper than the green circuits...)!

[Youtube]A2FpIypzonI[/Youtube]

[Youtube]CCUKrS8vVLs[/Youtube]
    Marcus: "Tell Corrado, three gears is enough!"