Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Drifter
    And I still have not seen a single comment from a team or driver on this moronic proposal.
    Maybe they aren't allowed to. Because after all some of them might have an opinion different to that of their teams <gasp>.

the only reason I might watch the first race next year is to see the difference between BBC and ITV. Yes, I might enjoy the race, but even enjoying the races won't matter when half the action is for nothing.

Bernie says it will encourage overtaking, and drivers could overtake all the time if they wanted to. Well someone tell me one reason why it would be worth risking your life (after all, that's what they are doing) trying to overtake someone for 8th place, when you don't even get a reward for it. And there will be chaos at the start with some people trying to win the race at the first corner causing crashes and dangerous situations.

Add all that to the fascistic stewardship dishing out penalties left, right and centre, ugly cars and idiotic ownership, and we potentially have a disasterous season instead of what could have been a classic. A classic with points. It's not the Olympics for goodness sake.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    So how about giving medals to the rest of them... 4th place - iron medal, 5th place - wood medal, 6th place - chocolate medal, 7th place - rubber medal, 8th place - plastic medal? and the rest of them a bag of candies...

maybe it´s not the correct order... I think I´d rather finish 6 th rather than 5th.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yawn!
    Words you say never seem To live up to the ones Inside your head....and I don't like what you got me hanging from.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    I'm not so sure about medals or points for just the top 3, anyone outside the top 3 would have no reason to continue a race, so may as well stop and save the engine.

More emphasis does need to be placed on winning.
    Under the current system, finishing forth in two races is the equivalent to winning in one, now that's just wrong.

More points for the winner with a bigger gap in points to second place. Make winning paramount.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    So, apparently theres no overtaking not because aerodynamics prevent it, or the circuits do not have enough overtaking areas, but because the drivers just aren't trying.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72254

F1 according to Ecclestone.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Thankyou Eddie Jordan for saying what everyone is thinking about this: "nonsense".

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72256

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    just a thought - before we completley condemn the proposed system, can anyone be bothered to run through the past few years and see what changes that would make to the outcomes of the title?
    It would've made virtually no difference from the 1980s onwards. Bernie is 20 years too late as this will show...

With medals:

2008 - Massa wins title (Champion: Hamilton)
    1989 - Senna wins title (Champion: Prost)
    1987 - Mansell wins title (Champion: Piquet)
    1986 - Mansell wins title (Champion: Prost)
    1984 - Prost wins title (Champion: Lauda)
    1983 - Prost wins title (Champion: Piquet)
    1982 - Pironi wins title (Champion: Rosberg)
    1981 - Prost wins title (Champion: Piquet)
    1979 - Jones wins title (Champion: Scheckter)
    1977 - Andretti wins title (Champion: Lauda)
    1967 - Clark wins title (Champion: Hulme)
    1964 - Clark wins title (Champion: Surtees)
    1958 - Moss wins title (Champion: Hwathorn)

and so hypothetically (accounting for their other titles),

Prost wins 5 titles (he won 4)
    Senna wins 4 titles (he won 3)
    Clark wins 4 titles (he won 2)
    Mansell wins 3 titles (he won 1)
    Jones wins 2 titles (he won 1)
    Andretti wins 2 titles (he won 1)
    Pironi wins 1 title (he won 0)
    Moss wins 1 title (he won 0)
    Lauda wins 1 title (he won 3)
    Massa wins 1 title (he won 0)
    Piquet wins 0 titles (he won 3)
    Rosberg wins 0 titles (he won 1)
    Hulme wins 0 titles (he won 1)
    Scheckter wins 0 titles (he won 1)

So 1 title won with less wins than the other guy since the 1980s means a point system change is in order? wierd.

Enjoy.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    I believe the consensus from this forum is a no to Bernie's proposed scheme, while realizing the current system gives too much value to 2nd through 4th positions. Tinkering with present system while maintaining some comparability with the past 58 years, seems to be desirable. If we accept a 100%, 66% and 44% ratio for the podium spots, this works out to 20 13 and 8 on a 20 point total. The remaining positions would score 6, 4, 3, 2, 1. Blancvino suggested awarding points down to 10th spot, as is common in some US series. However, since their were only 20 starters this year, I don't think automatic points for half the field is warranted. The values for the podium positions seem consistent with an Olympic gold, silver, bronze system; third place is really devalued (less than half of a 1st spot). A system such as this allows the tail enders to fight for the last coveted championship point.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    In fact I think it is the Olympics that should change to a points system!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 1,256 Times in 682 Posts
    Dear me, I really wonder what direction Bernie/FIA are taking F1. Medals,....were did that idea come from??
    Why not follow the Nascar example and have a 'Chase for the Title' in the last 5 races. It surely couldn't be any worse.
    In an extreme case, somebody(Driver A) could win 3/4/5 races - retire from the rest, while somebody(Driver B) wins 2 races but has consistent podiums. Guess who's Champion?? If anything, change to 15 - 10 - 8 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1, that would surely work better.
    Utter madness, what's in it for the lower teams - with no hope of getting a podium?
    Control tyres, possible control engines, silly points systems, inconsistent stewarding, rubbish modern tracks, it's surely all a bad dream, isn't it??

Somebody needs to thank Bernie for his efforts - and put him out to grass, and quickly.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???