Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts

Question Another one bites the dust - Chinese GP

Chinese Grand Prix officials are weighing up whether or not to extend their Formula One contract beyond 2010, with the race's future in the balance because of the huge costs of holding the event.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72111

If govt. backed venues who were happy to stump up $m's to have a GP are now beginning to question whether it's worth it F1 may have itself a problem. Could it mean Bernie is forced to put a more realistic price on the "privilege" of holding a GP, or even a return to more "traditional" venues?
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1

If govt. backed venues who were happy to stump up $m's to have a GP are now beginning to question whether it's worth it F1 may have itself a problem. Could it mean Bernie is forced to put a more realistic price on the "privilege" of holding a GP, or even a return to more "traditional" venues?
    Yes and yes. F1 needs to adapt to changing times, whether we're in a recession or not. This is part of the process.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1

Oh god I hope so.

What's "traditional" though?

Magny Cours? Imola? The Sud-Ring Nurburgring? Estoril?

Does "Traditional" now include anything that was first used less than 25 years ago?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great news, the Drivers and Fans will love it. Maybe Portugal will be able to afford a GP at the fantastic new Portimao track. Keep Spa, Silverstone and lose some of the new circuits.

Would just love the CVC owned, Bernie run F1 to go bust and a new F1 to arise from the ashes, properly financed and there for the teams, driver and fans not just the owners as is presently the case.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello

Magny Cours? Imola? The Sud-Ring Nurburgring? Estoril?

Does "Traditional" now include anything that was first used less than 25 years ago?
    To me, of those that have been under some threat of losing their GPs, it's Silverstone, Montreal and Spa.

I guess I consider the "traditional" venues to be circuits that were not political creations i.e. those which were designed and built from scratch, often in locations that previously had no particular interest in, or history of, motorsport. By "political" I mean created for every reason but sporting i.e. tourism, commerce, the event being a shop window for the country.

I'm sure that definition is flawed

Magny Cours could be considered to be the first example in that it very much was a government backed creation, built in the middle of nowhere. Of course France has a rich tradition of motorsport

Others have followed. Turkey and China spring to mind as locations with no links to F1, or motorsport particularly, but whose governments saw the benefits of having a prestigious international event to showcase their nation.

For China now to be asking "is it worth it" is worrying for those who have earned a lot of money developing these "new" F1 markets.

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    Bring back Imola !!! :
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Quote Originally Posted by pino
    Bring back Imola !!! :
    Nah, bring back Reims.

Admittedly, the pits do need updating though.

Nah, bring back Reims.

Admittedly, the pits do need updating though.
    Like the safety car