Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    My thoughts too...

1) Which were the biggest positive surprises of the season? (teams, drivers, other F1-related events)
    Whatever the critics say, but among teams it was Toyota for me. After a difficult 2007 there is no way I would have expected so many points (56) from them this year. Also they have made a step forward in several areas (strategy, consistency, reliability). Makes me wish that they can keep the momentum to improve further. Surely Vettel's win at Monza was very surprising.
    Among drivers it's a bit hard to find someone, who exceeded expectations, so hopefully didn't underrate anyone. : If anything, then Massa's comeback after Malaysian GP!
    Other: 5 rain-affected races. Quite a lot, isn't it? Struggling to remember, when was the last time, when we had such a wet season.

2) Which were the biggest negative surprises of the season? (teams, drivers, other)
    Heidfeld was a disappointment for me. Based on his previous career I thought it wouldn't be a problem for him to match anyone, but it turned out to be a more difficult season, which has forced to correct the view on him. Also Kovalainen looked capable for a lot more based on the second half of 2007. However, it seems to turn out that he is more likely a Finnish version of Fisichella - driving a top car as a #2 driver isn't exactly his strength...

3) Which was the most interesting race of the season?
    All 5 wet races were quite exciting (Mon, UK, Bel, Ita, Bra) - maybe Monaco rises above others, because a wet Monaco is something very special. Among dry races Canadian, German and Japanese GP's were quite memorable.

4) Which was the most boring race of the season?
    Chinese GP - only race I didn't see fully, because lost internet connection for the last 15 laps. But during those laps nothing changed, so didn't muss much. :

5) Which were in your opinion the most remarkable single performances by a driver? (mention driver and GP here)
    Interestingly a lot more outstandings performances can be recalled from 2008 compared to 2007, when drivers usually classified strictly based on machinery. Three most memorable performances of 2008 for me are Sutil at Monaco (interestinly already forgotten by folks!), Hamilton at Silverstone and Vettel at Monza. As we see, all of them took place in wet conditions. In the dry Hamilton's drives in Turkey and Germany were brilliant, Massa in Hungary, some Alonso's drives. There are many more, but I stop here.

6) Who/what would you especially like to praise/highlight, who/what in your opinion hasn't got enough attention?
    Huh, Force India's progress maybe! Also Nakajima, who has managed to beat Rosberg more often than anyone expected before the season.

7) Which events during the season created most emotional feelings for yourself? (besides the finale of the last race!)
    Trulli's podium in France. This was the first thing that came to my mind!
    From the negative side it was quite sad to see Sutil retiring at Monaco. This young guy may never get a similar chance again...
    And maybe it didn't create many emotions as such, but it was annoying to see the safety car rule messing up the grid in several races.

8) How satisfied are you generally with the season and what would you have preferred to turn out differently?
    Racing-wise the season was generally great. Just the stewards should have been more... erm, competent.

9) What was better/worse in 2008 compared to 2007?
    The positive aspect is that the competition has recently been a lot tighter. In 2007 Ferrari and McLaren were the class of the field on basically every circuit and although in 2008 they ended as the two best teams again, then the chasing teams have been a lot closer and at times managed to genuinely challenge Ferrs and Macs.

We had politics both in 2007 and 2008, so in this area little changed, already the FIA actions in 2008 were a lot different.

Liked 1,106 Times in 615 Posts

Question Response

1) Which were the biggest positive surprises of the season? (teams, drivers, other F1-related events)
    BMW's first win. The first night race - Singapore officals did a nice job putting it together.

2) Which were the biggest negative surprises of the season? (teams, drivers, other)
    Steward's inconsistency. Anything Max Mosley said or did. Bernie's silence or promotion of cost cutting while bleeding race organizers dry with his fees.

Brazil

Valencia

5) Which were in your opinion the most remarkable single performances by a driver? (mention driver and GP here)
    Sebastian Vettel in the rain, especially after the dominant performance of Lewis Hamilton at Silverstone.

6) Who/what would you especially like to praise/highlight, who/what in your opinion hasn't got enough attention?
    Rubens Barichello. No complaints, he just drove the best he could with the car he had.

7) Which events during the season created most emotional feelings for yourself? (besides the finale of the last race!)
    The Canadian GP, seeing Monaco in the wet for the first time (although it was a somewhat boring race)

8) How satisfied are you generally with the season and what would you have preferred to turn out differently?
    This was a great season as the titles were fought for until the end.

Better - I can't think of anything. Worse - overtaking. FIA & F1 officals need to stop thinking most people care about tactics. They want to see fights for position!
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 1,106 Times in 615 Posts
    They won't let me edit the above, so skip that and read this instead!

BMW's first win. The first night race - Singapore officials did a nice job putting it together. Kaz Nakajimi going from "car-crasher" to "solid performer" in a few races. Out drove Rosberg on occasion. Force India's pace.

Steward's inconsistency. Anything Max Mosley said or did. Bernie's silence or promotion of cost cutting while bleeding race organizers dry with his fees.

Brazil

Valencia

Sebastian Vettel in the rain, the dominant performance of Lewis Hamilton at Silverstone, Alonso's calm , controlled drive in Singapore & Japan.

Rubens Barichello. No complaints, he just drove the best he could with the car he had. Two seconds covered the entire field, making qualifying for the mid and back runners that must more important. The drives of Toyota & the people who came out of nowhere to score podium's - Rosberg, Barichello, Coultard, Glock, Trulli. Just fantastic to see. Also nice were the different race winners.

The Canadian GP, seeing Monaco in the wet for the first time (although it was a somewhat boring race), Alonso's first win of the season (I'm staill a fan of his for some reason...).

This was a great season as both titles were fought for until the end. The stewards need to be changed into something more consistent. Once again too many political maneuvering overshadowed a great season.

Better - more race winners, different people on the podium. It gave you the feeling that the racing had changed even though half of the season was a snore-fest.
    Worse - overtaking. FIA & F1 officials need to stop thinking most people care about tactics. They want to see fights for position!
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Torro Rosso's performance would have to be the biggest positive surprise. It showed that there is more to F1 than just desiging a quick car. Berger's boys took the same chassis as Red Bull and got more out of it. Well done!

Raikkonen. Still the fastest man in F1, as something like 10 fastest laps attest, but where his head was at, who knows?

Interlagos was boring for 69 laps and thrilling for 2. Singapore was interesting for the first practice session then dull thereafter. I can't say any one race was more intersting than the rest. There were interesting aspects to many races this season.

Germany and Spain weren't worth watching.

Vettel at Monza, Massa at the Hungaroring and Hamilton at Silverstone.

Vettel, STR, Alonso and Renault deserve the praise. I think Toyota probably haven't got enough credit for finally getting their team pointed in the right direction.

Massa's engine failure in Hungary was a gut punch that still annoys be to this day. If that engine had lasted another 3 laps the title probably would have been his.

McLaren won the WDC so I definently would have preferred a different outcome. As a whole I can't say that I really enjoyed this season. It's a strange feeling because Ferrari were competitive and won the WCC yet I enjoyed 2005 more. I think the direction the sport is heading isn't to my liking and it's taking some of the enjoyment out of it for me.

As per question 8, I preferred 2007. For the first time in years I missed a couple of races this year. About the only time I got really excited all year were the last two laps of the season.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    What Hawkmoon said, at a rate of 99.99 %, describes my feelings too.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That every team bar 1 managed a podium and the general competitiveness of the field.

Pathetic stewarding.

Singapore was good, also Brazil

China.

Sebastien Vettel, Italian GP

Rubens - ok so the car was a dog, but he outperformed Button. Those who are calling on him to retire are either overlooking how bad the Honda was or ageist.

Massa's retirement in Hungary. Turn 1, Fuji, The whole Ferrari pit disaster that was Singapore.

It was a wonderful season, only I wish Massa had become the champion.

I think it was about even - they were both great seasons.