Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dataman1
    Gary,

As I recall, the Hanford Device was built to create drag and slow down the cars for driver and spectator safety. It accomplished that task well and along with it created a big sucking hole behind each car that created passing which I believe is what the average fan wants, like the "green, white, checker" Nascar has frequently. The fans stand for all 3 laps. What is bad about that?

Keep in mind that we who write here are not the average fan. Many of us live sleep and eat this sport and we know it was artificial BUT what is good for the sport? Should it entertain we few, the passionate ones OR should we go after more butts in the seats? Food for consideration.
    It could be exciting, but it makes everything up until the final lap completely pointless.

All the hanford device did was cause cars to move back and fourth through the field easier until the eventual final lap shootout.

I'd rather have Dixon lead the majority of the laps and win on fuel strategy than waste 2 hours watching a race that only has one lap that actually matters.

HD races were like basketball games. They just take turns leading until the final minute where the play actually matters. The rest of the game is pointless.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Helix,

I understand your point BUT as said above, in other words, how do we gain more butts in the seats or more viewers on TV if we don't have some passing. The casual fan does not understand a fuel conservation plan. They understand passing. And if that passing happens on the last lap like the last race it gets people on their feet and hopefully to attend or watch another race. We that write here are not the target audience to improve attendance. We have been watching for years. The product has to lure in new people.

Jimispeed was providing an example about how to achieve passing. Is it the only way? NO. It is just a way that worked in the past.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dataman1
    Gary,

As I recall, the Hanford Device was built to create drag and slow down the cars for driver and spectator safety. It accomplished that task well and along with it created a big sucking hole behind each car that created passing which I believe is what the average fan wants, like the "green, white, checker" Nascar has frequently. The fans stand for all 3 laps. What is bad about that?

Keep in mind that we who write here are not the average fan. Many of us live sleep and eat this sport and we know it was artificial BUT what is good for the sport? Should it entertain we few, the passionate ones OR should we go after more butts in the seats? Food for consideration.

Point taken and quite honestly this is what I was thinking when I agreed that it did make for some exciting passes. But I am still not sure if it is the RIGHT way to acomplish this. It seems to me, and I know I keep coming back to this, but reliance on front wing downforce coupled with rear wing turbulence has made passing so tough that it made the hanaford device look appealing.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.