Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    I said no such thing. I would prefer they looked more like the Lotus that ran at Indy in the mid 60's.

Or one of the lolas:

Gary
    I think these are gorgeous cars too - among the prettiest ever... although I am pretty partial to the 1982-1988 cars too....

so do you think a look or a performance envelope is more important? As much as I would like an updated Lotus or Lola I do not think they could be made to perform as well as desirable...

I tend to think the cars need to be able to lap Indy in the 200-220 range at a minimum - which means a wingless car following the mid-1960's model would probably not work safely.. you could pull it off wiht something modeled after the McLAren M-16 or Eagle of the 1970's or a 1980's March without wings......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I said no such thing. I would prefer they looked more like the Lotus that ran at Indy in the mid 60's.

Or one of the lolas:

Gary
    Hey Gary,

Who's Lotus #83 was that? I think Bobby Johns? I would love to own a replica!

Unfortunately just a diecast......
    :champion:car Continuing since 1909
    http://www.youtube.com/user/champcar4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH
    Exactly. Whenever someone says they want a car with no wings, they always refer back to the sixties F1/Indy cars. Sure, they look great. But in 2008, it's gonna look more like the Formula Ford I showed, than Jim Clark's Lotus.

Why? What would possibly dictate that it look as anemic as that?

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimispeed
    Hey Gary,

Who's Lotus #83 was that? I think Bobby Johns? I would love to own a replica!

Unfortunately just a diecast......

It belongs to a friend of mine. I believe it was a Jim Clark car. I know he drove #82, but I think this might have bee a backup car or something. I'll ask Jim Jaeger when I see him again. Meantime here is a link to the class page from our Concours d'Elegance. One of our special displays this year was Indy cars. Janet Guthrie was our Grand Marshall.

http://www.ohioconcours.com/carsbycl...%20Indy%20Cars

I have a pastic model of it that I built in 1965 or 66.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why? What would possibly dictate that it look as anemic as that?

Gary
    I said they would look "MORE LIKE" the modern day Formula Ford than the 60's Lotus. Not "EXACTLY" like. Ok, maybe bigger sidepods, recline the driver a bit... but it's not going to look ANYTHING like a 60's deathtrap.

If there's a modern day open wheel car that does speeds similar to an F1/Indycar or even a GP2/Indylights that also don't have wings - then please show me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It belongs to a friend of mine. I believe it was a Jim Clark car. I know he drove #82, but I think this might have bee a backup car or something. I'll ask Jim Jaeger when I see him again. Meantime here is a link to the class page from our Concours d'Elegance. One of our special displays this year was Indy cars. Janet Guthrie was our Grand Marshall.

Gary
    wow, some great cars there - is the Indy car thing part of it every year - or just this year??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary

Thanks Gary! I think I found it at the bottom of this page....

http://www.legendsofnascar.com/Bobby_Johns.htm
    :champion:car Continuing since 1909
    http://www.youtube.com/user/champcar4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris R
    wow, some great cars there - is the Indy car thing part of it every year - or just this year??

Just this year. Next year we are having a special display of land speed record cars including the Mormon Meteor which now makes it's home in Cincinnati and won best of show at last years Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimispeed
    Thanks Gary! I think I found it at the bottom of this page....

http://www.legendsofnascar.com/Bobby_Johns.htm

Indeed!! But I would swear that it was somehow linked to Jim Clark. Let me find out the details.

Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Totally crazy idea, but what if Ferrari said to TG, "we'll give our 2008 car design to any chassis manufacturers you want, and they can mass produce it for a 3-year run beginning in 2010."? Aside from some of the technical issues, would this be good for Indycar?

I ask because everyone criticizes current European formula cars. I liked the Lola, Reynard, and even the Panoz Champcars. But I don't think anyone of those, and especially not the current Dallara, comes close to the visual impact that a current F1 car has. That Superleague car is pretty sweet, though.
    Domm