Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking Paul Tracy at Edmonton: contender or pretender?

Does anyone REEEEALYY expect Paul Tracy to be competitive in a one-off entry in unfamiliar equipment with Vision Racing and Derek Walker ???

I see his entry into this race as just pure WINDOW DRESSING. I think no matter how good you are,you cannot just come walk in, get in a ride, and expect to run up front just like that. If he had been in at least one or two more races this year I would say yeah he is a contender.

I hope I have to eat my words, but PT just don't crash out any of the championship contenders with your "daring" driving.
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagocrewIRL
    Does anyone REEEEALYY expect Paul Tracy to be competitive in a one-off entry in unfamiliar equipment with Vision Racing and Derek Walker ???

I see his entry into this race as just pure WINDOW DRESSING. I think no matter how good you are,you cannot just come walk in, get in a ride, and expect to run up front just like that. If he had been in at least one or two more races this year I would say yeah he is a contender.

I hope I have to eat my words, but PT just don't crash out any of the championship contenders with your "daring" driving.
    I think there is a chance he could do well. Look at what Ryan Brisco did in his first race for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing in 2006 and the Glen. Started 10th finished 3rd. Now yes he had run in the IRL before which PT hasn't but it didn't seem like the former CC drivers had that big of a problem in the first RC race of the year. Also PT, and the other former CC drivers, know this track while the IRLers don't and it will take a session or so just for them to figure our the track. Is he a favorite to win? no. Could he finish in the top 10? very possibly. Will he finish the best on his team? As long as he finishes yes.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    8th place.
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    He will upset the 'Princess'. Then the fireworks will start!

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts

Well, if Tracy really is not competitive, the championship contenders shouldn't really be anywhere around him, should they - unless of course they are lapping him...

IMO, Tracy (and the other former CC drivers) do have one advantage - having run on the track previously. Personally, I can envision two szenarios for PT: Either he will drop out rather early on because of trying too hard or he will have a solid mid-pack finish (around P8 to P12).
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He'll either crash or finish in the top 10.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Paul Tracy at Edmonton:

1) contenter?
    2) pretender?
    3) offender?

1) nope
    2) maybe
    3) YES! I bet that he'll push at least two cars off the track.

And I guess he will watch out for Seb Bourdais
    Join the free men!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Looking back at the history of one-off efforts, the one and only successful, and most successful one-off was Al Unser Sr. winning the 1987 Indianapolis 500; from no-ride in the 87 season, to 4 time Indianapolis 500 Champion.

I can't really think of any other examples of successful one-off efforts. I think successful would be defined as a podium finish.
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The optimist in me would like to say "never say never". The realist says... a win or a podium....while not impossible, is extremely unlikely. Unfamilar car, unfamilar team, little testing, not a great combination. It is a track he is familar with, just not one he's had much success at. Also, several other drivers (Rahal and Wilson to name a couple) have also raced here....much more successfully, so I think that negates any possible preceived advantage.
    There are several drivers/teams he should finish ahead of.....if or course he doesn't cause or get caught up someone elses misfortune and/or he has mechanical issues. Lord knows I've more than once said "what the he_ _ were you thinkin'". Anyways I wish him good luck, I think he's going to need a great deal of it.
    "The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses."
    Mario Andretti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Looking back at the history of one-off efforts, the one and only successful, and most successful one-off was Al Unser Sr. winning the 1987 Indianapolis 500; from no-ride in the 87 season, to 4 time Indianapolis 500 Champion.

I can't really think of any other examples of successful one-off efforts. I think successful would be defined as a podium finish.
    Don't forget when JPM and Helio (the first win) won Indy in one offs with teams not in the seires.