Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Townsend Bell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Townsend Bell

I mentioned this in another post, but why doesn't this guy have a full time ride? He drove a very consistent and strong race for D&R (started 12th and finished 10th) at Indy, and has sponsorship (although maybe only for one race), so shouldn't D&R try to run him full time?

I think I already know the answer to this, and of course its money, but what do you guys think?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coogmaster
    I mentioned this in another post, but why doesn't this guy have a full time ride? He drove a very consistent and strong race for D&R (started 12th and finished 10th) at Indy, and has sponsorship (although maybe only for one race), so shouldn't D&R try to run him full time?

I think I already know the answer to this, and of course its money, but what do you guys think?
    I wish he had a full-time ride. He is an above average driver who could pull in some wins. He has potential sponsorship if he can line it up with the right team. I could see him end up at a team like RLR or Panther who have 1 car operations and want to turn it into 2 car programs. That sponsorship could go a long way to doing that.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    didn't he get fired from his last full time ride (champ car?) for wrecking too many cars?
    "Approach racing like billiards - bash the ball too hard, get nowhere." Juan Manuel Fangio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not sure about his history in CC, but he did run for Panther in the IRL a few years back and almost won a few races (Richmond I think was one).

Either way, he'd be a great addition to the American driver list if he does end up getting a full time ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny shell
    didn't he get fired from his last full time ride (champ car?) for wrecking too many cars?
    Yes he did! A poor driver, just look up his record in Champ Car and in F3000.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He's doing a few races for D&R isn't he (the one's Milka Duno isn't?)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    In CART 2002, He had 6 wrecks in 9 starts including not being allowed to continue at Toronto after contact with Junquiera. His best finish was 4th @ Portland.

In the IRL in 2004, he had 3 wrecks in 10 starts with a best finish of 5th in Nashville.

At times he's fast, but at times he's also out of control. Has he gotten rid of the wildness? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

There's a certain Mr. Briscoe that has a top ride, but doesn't seem to have gotten crashing out of his system.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexamateo
    In CART 2002, He had 6 wrecks in 9 starts including not being allowed to continue at Toronto after contact with Junquiera. His best finish was 4th @ Portland.

In the IRL in 2004, he had 3 wrecks in 10 starts with a best finish of 5th in Nashville.

At times he's fast, but at times he's also out of control. Has he gotten rid of the wildness? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

There's a certain Mr. Briscoe that has a top ride, but doesn't seem to have gotten crashing out of his system.
    Tomas Scheckter was the same way, Townsend has the speed and is determined, but he needs to remain relaxed and not crash

Briscoe is still learning Ovals, hes an road course driver, he did very well in Penskes Porsche RS Spyder last year in the ALMS. he just needs time on more ovals and he'll be a serious contender every race
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

T-Bell

A little T-Bell history for you.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_in_Indy_Lights
    2 wins in 12 races and rookie of the year honors
    runner-up to Scott Dixon for championship (decided on last race at Fontana where they finished side-by-side 1-2).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_in_Indy_Lights
    6 wins in 12 races including lapping entire field at Milwaukee
    runaway champion over some guys named Wheldon and Dominguez

always fast. has never been on a team with a car capable of winning races since Indy Lights. Definitely tried to make too much happen with inferior equiptment at times but so have alot of guys....Tracy and Andretti come to mind!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For the record, Townsend Bell is a very good commentator. He did the SPEEDTV coverage of the Italian Grand Prix last year for US viewers. I wouldn't mind seeing him take Goodyear's place. Then again, I wouldn't mind if Mickey Mouse took Goodyear's place.

Bell deserves a ride over Milka, but Milka clearly brings considerably more money. She costs D&R more with a wrecked car 100% of the time, but the fact she has held her ride just shows CITGO poors more money into it than William Rast can. If Bell can continue a solid performance in his remaining races, he'll get a ride. With a lot of teams on a tight budget this year, consistency is going to be key for securing work, especially if you don't have money. If he can calm down, we'll see more of him.
    Support your local short track! If you don't have one, build one!