Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

ITV4 gets WTCC coverage

The World Touring Car Championship has announced an improved television coverage package, which includes free-to-air coverage in the UK.

The series has previously only been available on satellite television in Britain, but promoter, and satellite channel, Eurosport have agreed a deal for ITV4 to broadcast coverage of the races.

New deals have also been agreed to broadcast the races in Russia, Japan, Mexico, and the Middle East, as well as extensions to the contracts to show the WTCC on free-to-air channels throughout Europe.
    Full article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67408

I'm assuming the races which clash with the BTCC won't be live. Sadly the article is a bit vague.

This WTCC press release doesn't really clarify things:

The 2008 season of the FIA World Touring Car Championship goes on with the first European event this weekend (May 18th) at Valencia, Spain, and the championship is set to benefit from an extensive TV coverage worldwide.

For the current season, Eurosport Events, the promoter of the WTCC through its subsidiary KSO, has signed agreements covering 160 countries over the five continents - especially in Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East.

The championship will be aired by more than 62 channels (+51 % compared to last year), including 37 terrestrial channels, 15 cable & satellite networks and 10 pan-regional channels.
    • Important improvements in the TV distribution have been achieved in three key countries: United Kingdom (ITV4), Russia (TV Center) and Japan (free to air network TXN, which includes TV Tokyo, TV Osaka, TV Aichi, TV Setouchi, TV Hokkaido and TV Kyushu).[/*:m:1ipcgnsq]
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just highlights I think... they've shown the first couple of rounds already!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hopefully this will be better than the commentary-less Yahoo Euorsport effort!

Liked 1,263 Times in 684 Posts
    I hope it is Live coverage, there are already 30 min highlights on the ITV website. Remember, it is 1 of 3 FIA World Championships, so should get proper coverage.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    can't help thinking without an upturn in the quality of the racing and the touring car bureau stopping meddling it will be a bust. i'll still tune in mysef for a bit when i can, but i certainly won't be searching it out having seen the state of the series so far this year
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's not live coverage, it's just highlights (as Cos said), Eurosport is still the only channel in the UK where you can see it live.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I don't mind if it's not live, but the highlights should be longer...and a bit better, maybe to run alongside or on alternating weekends with the BTCC - it definitely needs a bit more exposure.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good for those without SKY to have these highlights, but for now i shall stick with watching the races on British Eurosport.