Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

any suggestions for my first 500

Can anyone give me any suggestions for my first Indy 500? Dad and I are driving out on thursday the 22nd and staying through sunday. We have tix in the Tower Terrace and have carb day tix. I see tix on stubhub for the drivers meeting for $23. What is that like and is that something we should do on Saturday. Any suggestions for us for the weekend would be appreciated.

Thanks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Check this out:

http://www.indy500.com/schedule/

Most notably are the Carb Day practice, Indy Lights race, and concert on Friday.

The drivers meeting is Saturday. Admission is free, so I'm not sure what they are charging for on Stub Hub. Maybe they are including parade tickets?

There's a parade on Saturday that's nothing extraordinary, but does have all the drivers.

Bring ear plugs and a radio. Tune it to 1070 AM all race day. Check out Donald Davidson's show in the evenings. If you want to warm up for Indy you can catch it evenings on the web throughout May.

Your seats are cool, you'll see some pit action, setups for passes going into turn 1, the s/f line, and some cool opening festivities...but don't be surprised how little of the track you'll see. You should have a big monitor, though.

If the bus is an option from where you are staying, I recommend it, even thouh it's pricey race day.

Enjoy and pray for no rain.
    YOUR FAVORITE DRIVER...
    is not half bad now that I think about it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rustycards
    Can anyone give me any suggestions for my first Indy 500? Dad and I are driving out on thursday the 22nd and staying through sunday. We have tix in the Tower Terrace and have carb day tix. I see tix on stubhub for the drivers meeting for $23. What is that like and is that something we should do on Saturday. Any suggestions for us for the weekend would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi Rusty,

This 500 will also be my first, I just cannot wait.
    "To Accomplish Great Things, We Must Not Only Act, But Also Dream; Not Only Plan, But Also Believe."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Take BEER!!!!!
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX_THRUST
    Take BEER!!!!!
    and sunscreen, frozen water bottles to a) keep the beer cold and b) rehydrate yourself after drinking said beer. Leave any sense of shame at home. Let me also reiterate that if (no, WHEN) you take beer, that increases the need for sunscreen.

I've been to all of the different race types at Indy, sat in great paddock seats (NASCAR - race good, fans obscene), perfect start/finish seats (F1, on two occasions) and el-cheapo inside turn one seats (the 500). After all of it, I have to say the most fun I've had is going "Indiana Redneck Style" with cheap seats, a cooler of beer, locals friends, and an "all day" attitude. We show up at the track early in the morning, obviously stay through the whole operation, and don't worry about leaving right away. You can avoid traffic and continue to enjoy the atmosphere.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just sit back and soak in the enviroment, the people, the sounds of the cars and of course, the race. It truely is a "spectacle" like no other in racing.
    "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." - General George S. Patton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Arrive early on race day to take in the spectacle inside and out of the track. You gotta go the museum. There are so many historic race cars there.
    Team Super Friends the new factory Honda team.:D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Geeze guys, what are you all thinking? You have neglected to tell these fine folks about the single most important part of viewing any oval race (hell ANY type of track for that matter). Go down to a fence line that will get you as close to the track as you can legally get. Do this during the start of the race or a full course yellow restart. Take in the unbelievable exhilaration as the pack of cars sweeps past you at close range. If that doesn't trip your trigger, check to see if you have a pulse.

Not sure where that point is anymore at Indy. I do remember at Michigan years ago doing this and feeling the suction of air as the pack passed us. We had to feign going to get a drink and timing it just right, lest the "hall monitors"/security folks hurried us along and not let us linger at the fence line.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pvtjoker
    Just sit back and soak in the enviroment, the people, the sounds of the cars and of course, the race. It truely is a "spectacle" like no other in racing.

Can you really put Indy above Monaco or Long Beach? Each brings its own version of spectacle. I'm not sure I'd put Daytona as the NASCAR "spectacle"of racing buts its close. Personally I prefer tintops at the Glen where they have to drive.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pvtjoker
    Quote Originally Posted by weeflyonthewall
    Can you really put Indy above Monaco or Long Beach? Each brings its own version of spectacle. I'm not sure I'd put Daytona as the NASCAR "spectacle"of racing buts its close. Personally I prefer tintops at the Glen where they have to drive.
    Weefly,

He didn't say "above all others", just "like no other". There is a real difference, my friend.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.