Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: standing starts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

standing starts

i just watched the race review on indycar.com and thought the rolling start of the race was horrible as most of the time it is on a road course with cars spinning even before the green flag (even under yellow restart). Do you think they will implement standing starts next season with the addition of many more road/street courses? Or what till 2010 until the new car comes out? If i remember correctly didnt they wait till CC went to panoz DP01 because they had a onboard starter (that didnt work), incase the stalled on the grid. I really think it is something they need to look at for next season. Add to the excitement, and makes it fair for everyone.

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    There was no rolling start, they started behind the safety car. After that it is normal to go green single file.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    F1 has always had SS's and I've never seen or heard of an onboard starter on them for safety reasons. Of course re-starting is technically not allowed under most circmstances in F1 anyway.

The starters weren't primarily for safer standing starts. The likelyhood of a driver stalling at the drop of the flag, then getting the car in neurtral and RE-started and getting under way before he was rearended is somewhere between slim and none. He(She) would have been lucky just to re-start and join the field on their own. The starters were more of an answer to needing every car possible on track with the small field, and drivers that couldn't seem to keep a car moving in the right direction and almost always stalled on track causing rediculously long FCY's on street courses. I wholeheartedly believe it was a good idea. Of course it never worked, but they simply needed more $ for development of a better battery and starter system.

Yesterday's race had the same issues. How many FCY's were there because drivers had to be re-started because they spun and killed the engine. There were a few more that only needed a local yellow, but the problem was the same.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danny123
    i just watched the race review on indycar.com and thought the rolling start of the race was horrible as most of the time it is on a road course with cars spinning even before the green flag (even under yellow restart). Do you think they will implement standing starts next season with the addition of many more road/street courses? Or what till 2010 until the new car comes out? If i remember correctly didnt they wait till CC went to panoz DP01 because they had a onboard starter (that didnt work), incase the stalled on the grid. I really think it is something they need to look at for next season. Add to the excitement, and makes it fair for everyone.
    A standing start in the wet is just as dangerous(if not more) as a rolling one IMO.

As soon as the cars start to move you get instant water spray so anyone behind the front row can't see at all. It's a pure guess and hope that the guy infront of you actually got moving.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    rolling starts just never seem to work on road/street courses, theres usually so spead out towards the rear and is a big gaggle and gaps everywhere, just looks unprofessional in a way, espcially now its bigger issue since theres 26 cars. Just something they should defiently consider.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i miss those a 32+ car rolling starts at road america
    I Would Rather Be A Savage Little Elephant, Than Be A Big Bald Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No Standing Starts...ever!
    "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." - General George S. Patton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like standing starts for the simple fact that everyone is on the same stretch of road as everyone else.

Now if some of the dough head drivers would just put their foot down when coming out of the last turn we could actually have some pretty decent starts.

Its tough because we want them all bunched up, but we dont want carnage.
    I'm old enough that I don't have to put up with your crap anymore.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonD
    I like standing starts for the simple fact that everyone is on the same stretch of road as everyone else.

Now if some of the dough head drivers would just put their foot down when coming out of the last turn we could actually have some pretty decent starts.

Its tough because we want them all bunched up, but we dont want carnage.
    I place my vote as well.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    dare i say....rolling starts make qualifying even more important?!

(i am partial to rolling starts)
    I Would Rather Be A Savage Little Elephant, Than Be A Big Bald Bull