Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think that the average US race fans likes to see close racing, thats why they like NASCAR, bumping is racing mentality is why they watch the racing. Recently it seems like the IRL events where they race wheel to wheel have seen a slight increase of fans at the event. Unlike the F1 fans would rather watch the ultimate technological machine win by 30 secs. Nothing new there, but doesnt NASCAR use basicially a spec chassis, just with a different manufacture on the grill. People dont seem to mind that.

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    the difference is that the teams in NASCAR build their own chassis from the ground up, and engines are designed by their specific manufacturers. Remember, the 358 c.i. engine size that they have is the celing, not the end product.

Moreso, the parts of those engines the teams have the choice of buying direct from a manufacturer-authorized team (RCR-Chevrolet, Evernham-Chrysler(Dodge), Roush-Ford, Gibbs-Toyota) or they can build them themselves, often from billet scratch, thanks to CNC machining.

same for F1, where basically the entire car is an in-house construction.

ALMS has a combinaion of constructor pre-built and manufacturer-based prototypes, with engines/powertrains from several engineering concerns. Grand Am has pre-builts for their Daytona Prototype division, with manufacturer-based powertrains (BMW, Porsche, Pontiac, Lexus, etc.).

and yet, all have not just competition, but identification. Ask why there are more team and manufacturer-based merchandise that sells like hotcakes in these series. Harder to do that with some nameless machine.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danny123
    Yeah because F1 is hugely popular here in the states.
    Im not here to start a arguement with people as simple minded as you.
    That's right, you jingoists prefer the hugely successful NASCAR engine formula complete with it's low tech carburators and pushrods.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDomm
    Manufacturers are going to spend what they want, no matter how tight the rules are.
    Exactly. And I think this is where a simple minded person such as myself, think that you can find cost savings (as opposed to arbitrary cost constraints).

If you adopt an engine formula from another top-tiered series, whether it be F1 or Le Mans, the development costs will be spread out much further.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    The engine formula will be the lynchpin for the direction that the series goes.

As it stands right now, the 3.4L V8 is the closest to present and affords the largest number of operable units from engineering concerns such as Engine Developments, Ltd. (Judd), Zytec and AER, as well as Major manufacturers like Honda(Mugen), Porsche, Toyota(TRD), Daimler-Benz (Ilmor-UK) and Audi.

When the chassis design parameters are worked out for the '09/'10 season, engine plates and requipment kits will be more than available from those companies that choose to enter their chassis and powerplants as series-approved units.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    To me, this process is pretty simple. Two chasis manufacturers. Allow them to make incremental changes once or twice a year. If one chasis is too dominant, then Indycar can allow the weaker chasis maker a special upgrade at some point during the season, to even things out a bit.

I also support teams making their own improvements during the season, but they must sell them to everybody who wants to buy the upgrades after three races. That way, you get innovation on a basic platform and fairly equal comptetition.
    "It was easy. These cars are so easy to drive, my grandmother could do it." -- Juan Montoya