Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Worst F1 Crash

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    I have never quite understood the mentality of those who, for example, watch an entire tv programme knowing it contains material that may offend, then feel the need to write to the broadcaster and complain.

As in this case, if you take offence to the thread, steer well clear.

If the link I posted was actually poking fun at a fatality I might see your POV, but it was a simple joke that contained a play on words.

I apologise to anyone who finds a picture of a dislodged 'help' key traumatic.

You have totally missed my point.

Several contributors have expressed reservations about the subject matter of this thread. I include myself amongst those who 'feel discomfort'. This is probably because I have been around long enough to remember when we lost five grand prix drivers in one season and because I personally witnessed an accident that left the driver crippled for life. After 40 years I can still recall the image of a rag doll like body emerging from a cloud of dust separately rom the car.

To their credit all posters have treated the subject with the respect it deserves. Clearly from some of the postings it is clear that information about historic crashes is not readily available and deveral misconceptions have been corrected.

I accept that in the words of Mario Andretti "Racing is also this".

But what I do consider and in bad taste is to introduce a joke, no matter how innocuous the joke itself might be, into a thread relating to a subject as sensitive and serious as this. The insensitivity lies in introducing a joke not in the nature of the joke itself.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    You have totally missed my point.

Several contributors have expressed reservations about the subject matter of this thread. I include myself amongst those who 'feel discomfort'. This is probably because I have been around long enough to remember when we lost five grand prix drivers in one season and because I personally witnessed an accident that left the driver crippled for life. After 40 years I can still recall the image of a rag doll like body emerging from a cloud of dust separately rom the car.

To their credit all posters have treated the subject with the respect it deserves. Clearly from some of the postings it is clear that information about historic crashes is not readily available and deveral misconceptions have been corrected.

I accept that in the words of Mario Andretti "Racing is also this".

But what I do consider and in bad taste is to introduce a joke, no matter how innocuous the joke itself might be, into a thread relating to a subject as sensitive and serious as this. The insensitivity lies in introducing a joke not in the nature of the joke itself.
    Fair enough.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    It's a difficult subject in many ways.

In one sense recalling some of the accidents mentioned here reminds us of how perilous racing could be. Serious injury or even death was reality. It was something racing drivers had to deal with, as mentioned in Doug Nye's column in Motor Sport this month in conversation with Tony Brooks.

I didn't live through the worst of those days. My interest in F1 began in the mid-70's when the sport was becoming much safer, although certainly not as safe as it is today. For those whose interest began much later the death of a racing driver is an exceptional event. It simply does not happen often, which is possibly why the loss of Senna had such an impact.

Then there's the rather different issue of whether safety levels today have had a negative impact on driver attitudes. I imagine that getting into a car knowing there was a real chance of being hurt is very different to knowing if you had an accident you are likely to be able to walk away. It may be argued that drivers had more respect for each other than they do now in terms of avoiding contact.

As with many things an appreciation of the past helps us appreciate the present.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry, but I forget the racers name. The worst F1 crash I have heard of is the beheading of a driver who went through the bottom portion of a guardrail, while the top stayed intact...

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    This year, the DC and Wurz accident could have been fatal. So lucky we didn't have to cope with that.

Not in F1, but in modern times the Mark Webber Le Mans accidents in 1999 were also hohrrible.
    Iceman: Adjective 1)Rapid, swift 2)Nickname of Kimi-Matias Räikkönen, a legendary Formula 1 driver

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aryan
    This year, the DC and Wurz accident could have been fatal. So lucky we didn't have to cope with that.

Not in F1, but in modern times the Mark Webber Le Mans accidents in 1999 were also hohrrible.

Yeah.

I couldn't believe they wanted him to get back in the car for a THIRD time after that!?!? No bloody way!!
    Ayrton Senna, Legend. R.I.P.

\"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. Because we are competing. We are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for a victory. It is not to come third, fourth, fifth or sixth. I race to win\".

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The Gerhard Berger accident in 89 was quite nasty, and could have been a lot worse had the marshals not been on the scene within 10 seconds.

IIRC this accident is the reason why teams are not now allowed to chill fuel.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Fernando Alonso flying round the last corners in Brazil a while back. That was one of those 'what if...' moments...

Not F1, but the Troy Critchley Pro Mod accident on the public road earlier this year was a crash that claimed lives that shouldn't have...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzlaF1
    Hi, im new-ish here (not posted for a while.) I may be 22 but i've always been interested in the history of F1, there's plenty of great video's nowadays on the net (Youtube) showing just how F1 used to be in the good old days.

But a lot of people on Youtube only seem interested in watching videos of crashes and fatal accidents and some i found on there were horrible (Tom Pryce's accident in 77 is just about the worst i have seen.)

So im wondering what do you think is the worst accident you've seen in F1 racing?
    gilles vilneuve 1982 Zolder...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There were some terrible crashes in the 60's-80's... Some you just do not want to see but are out there on the web.

Of the newer dissasters one which always horrified me was Rubens Barrichello @ Imola 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSI27en56tg

Also Bergers crash @ Tamberello in 1991 was FAR WORSE then Senna's so it appeared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPOAaMM7DvY
    :burnout: