Page 41 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Finally - 400 posts!
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaimWitz
    IMO, the real manure that is being spread has to do with Champ Car's supposedly bright future by certain parties here and beyond.

IMO, there seems to be a desire on the part of these folks to have us collectively suspend disbelief so that we all ignore the truth long enough to allow the next Billionaire Boys Club Ego Bowl game to be scheduled.

IMO, it seems some true believers only "hear" things about the future that sustain hope against all logic or consideration of the consequences of recent events. So, is it too much for us to ask if these flight attendants from the G5 Owner’s Club can share a credible, positive scenario or a link about something truly meaningful and real about 2008?

IMO, news about ChampCar (IMO, being a free-to-the-promoter support show) on the Grand-Am weekend at Laguna Seca in May simultaneous with the cancellation of two of the series “proof of concept” signature events in Phoenix and San Jose falls a wee bit short of inspiring confidence.

IMO, some concrete announcements would help. Not more breathless speculation about another batch of third string, ride buying nameless, faceless Europeans (hoping to land an F1 test seat) or misty eyed candle lighting in the hope of two more European races that will somehow bring ChampCar to Nirvana and salvation in '08 by being more like F1 in 1978.

IMO, I imagine folks who celebrate such things as signs of success would be in the minority in the USA where our supposedly American series claims to be based. What would Ted Horn or Rex Mays think of all this?

IMO, most of us here are anything but Doom and Gloomers, we are frustrated Champ Car fans who just want to see a "Go Big or Go Penguin Watching" moment soon. No more five year plans that aren't really plans at all.

IMO, the people I speak with who work in the sport have a very good track record when it comes to assessing the true state of Champ Car. Everything that has happened since last fall was predicted with stunning accuracy by these people so, please forgive me if I now heed their pragmatic assessments rather than the spin of someone who would have us all believe that ChampCar's glass is 1/3rd full rather than 2/3rds empty as it now appears to be.

IMO, something big and bad is going on in Champ Car and with every week that passes, it looks less and less like the OWRS owners are on the same page save for one thing....

IMO, it looks more and more likely with each day of silence from these men who once boldly promised so much, that they are now engaged in something that has little to do with building our series and everything to do with cashing out or cutting their losses.

IMO, what they are now doing is not worthy of investment by sponsors nor respect from the drivers, teams and promoters. Most importantly, it is no longer worthy of devotion from us fans who have stuck with CART and now Champ Car through think and thin.

IMO, we are all burdened by memory of what this series once was just five short years ago and haunted by the promise of what could have been.

IMO, a few people who post here seem to want to be buried alive with King Tutkalkhoven when the 3-Day Festivals of Speed pyramid scheme finally collapses.

IMO, it is time to move on to a new era for open wheel racing based in reality and the hard lessons learned from the past 13 years.

;-)
    I would have to say I agree with all of this and your earlier post.

I've been following this series since '70, and was a big fan of the White Paper when it came out. I loved the '90's and from the early '90's knew they were a special time that could not continue indefinitely.

I find the current version of this series difficult to recognize and have sadly reached the point where I think it would be better for it to die, than continue in its comatose state. I won't won't watch Tony's abomination until the teams should decide to get their acts together and take the sport back, if that should ever happen.

Too bad. The new ownership had such potential, but in the last year, they gave up and it's sad to see what has resulted.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum
    Links please

The "interview" is nothing new, it is weeks old, and was conducted by a CC pom pom shaker. Please supply some additional supporting FACTS. Or as you are so quick to say, provide some proof. And no, a PR interview proves nothing.

This thread is now almost 400 posts long, and I wonder how often the "links please" has been trotted out. As anyone knows, THERE ARE NO LINKS, because there is NO information, just speculation.

Moderators, don't you think it is time to shut this down?
    From the article-

"Champ Car owners committed to series long-term success
    by Mark Cipolloni
    September 1, 2007
    On the heels of the cancellation of both the China and Phoenix races this week and the resulting negative backlash that has caused, Champ Car Series owners Kevin Kalkhoven, Dan Pettit, Paul Gentilozzi, plus series President Steve Johnson and Series VP of Communications David Higdon met with a few media members and I to discuss the state of Champ Car and to ease fears that the sky is falling."

It's all there.

It's business as usual, running the series, they are still busy with racing and getting things done. They don't need to address every rumor.IMO. If that's not good enough,can't help you.

There is nothing that can't be overcome, because the foundation is there.
    Champ Car Fan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    The foundation is there but they are not building on it Sanguin. You can claim they are by going to Europe, but that is building another house across the Ocean. The one over here, they are giving up on and THAT is the wrong move. The teams are American based, and the series is an American series. It claims to carry on the heritage of the AAA OW series of the first half of the century and the USAC/CART legacy right through 1995 and onwards. Now they are going to dump on this legacy by ignoring the roots, traditions and FANS they have left here and go to Europe?

Champ Car is losing relevency because it doesn't know where its market is and the Amigo's are showing no signs of trying to grow one. Incremental growth and stability would have done wonders but it has been chaos theory management for 3 years plus now. I accepted this a bit in the beginnings, but by now, we should be seeing stablity, and yet the series makes less rational decisions now than they ever did.......
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sanguin
    It's business as usual, running the series,
    Oh, I thought you meant this was good use. If it's business as usual and they still are running the series, that would mean neither Surfer's or Mexico are going to happen, the 2008 schedule will be out in March (but 1/3 of the races won't take place) and we'll be rosily-scenarioed to death.

While I agree that not every rumor needs to be addressed, Mexico City is one that needs answering.
    chiudere il becco allegro ottimista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    The foundation is there but they are not building on it Sanguin. You can claim they are by going to Europe, but that is building another house across the Ocean. The one over here, they are giving up on and THAT is the wrong move. The teams are American based, and the series is an American series. It claims to carry on the heritage of the AAA OW series of the first half of the century and the USAC/CART legacy right through 1995 and onwards. Now they are going to dump on this legacy by ignoring the roots, traditions and FANS they have left here and go to Europe?

Champ Car is losing relevency because it doesn't know where its market is and the Amigo's are showing no signs of trying to grow one. Incremental growth and stability would have done wonders but it has been chaos theory management for 3 years plus now. I accepted this a bit in the beginnings, but by now, we should be seeing stablity, and yet the series makes less rational decisions now than they ever did.......
    That's your opinion, I disagree.
    Champ Car Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos
    While I agree that not every rumor needs to be addressed, Mexico City is one that needs answering.
    I think its answered with the Mexican drivers.
    Champ Car Fan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    That's your opinion, I disagree.
    Sanguin, I knew you would disagree. I would like you to at least try to put up a fight and tell me where I am wrong. You have to understand, I do NOT want CCWS to fail. The reason I am so bitter is because the people in charge don't see what they are doing to their image and brand by running the series like something a bunch of high school students could manage. I invested my fan's heart in this successor to CART and it makes me angry to see it so cavalierly mismanaged. We lost 2 races this year because of bad promotors and not understanding the FIA's role in determining as schedule. That just screams mickey mouse...and I was sold on a professional series that KK was promising he first took over.

Nothing is more galling than having a businessman in professional sport lie to the fans that keep him afloat.....and I feel lied to. So when you say you wont agree with me, I expect that, but then again, you have been such a carrier of water for the Amigo's, I would think you would at least have some sort of rebuttal that might have merit.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I did a little research and the following things (in no particular order) seem to be what all major league sports must have to succeed today:

1) A powerful brand
    2) Cultural resonance and relevance
    3) Well known stars
    5) 3-6 Elite teams
    6) A defining national or global event
    8) Schedule stability
    9) Business credibility
    10) Format continuity
    11) A target audience
    12) Sponsors who activate
    13) Media partners who invest
    14) A long-term marketing and business strategy
    15) Committed capital investors
    16) The ability to create leveragable value for all stakeholders
    17) A meaningful heritage

Ask yourself how many of these things Champ Car has today and what it is missing from the above list.

Then do the same for the Indy Car Series.

Ditto for ALMS. Grand-Am. NASCAR. NHRA. F1.

IMO, things are so dire for Champ Car that what happens next should solve the problem of what is missing from the above list in the most expedient and efficient way possible.
    OWRS-- Began January 28, 2004 and ended on February 22, 2008!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think its answered with the Mexican drivers.
    And I would say not since there the question is whether the track itself intends to hold the event. Hiring the Mexican drivers simply indicates that the series is willing to take actions to satisfy it's portion of the sanction agreement and thus would not be required to return the full sanction fee.

Sort of like how they said they could keep TMS' money, and California's money and China's money.
    chiudere il becco allegro ottimista