Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    That brings to mind James Hunt's comment that "you shouldn't pass around the outside" to Mario Andretti after their collision at Tarzan corner at the 1977 Dutch GP, and Michael Schumacher's reaction to Villeneuve passing him around the outside of the final turn at the 1996 Portugese GP.
    Throughly enjoyed looking at that old Dutch footace. Magic!!

Oh, what would we give for ballsy sideways action such as that again
    Justice is blind but doesn't have to be stupid.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackburn Buccaneer
    ...shortest distance: two corners to navigate... reduce the number of straight lines: a line is a series of points. all that's left is the requisite real estate: now drive
    This might be some kind of philosophy but is sure no geometry.

As for:
    think about a circle in geometry, it is actually a connection of staight lines.
    A circle is actually a connection of an infinite number of points but not of straight lines, at least form the POV of the geometry.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    This might be some kind of philosophy but is sure no geometry.

As for:

A circle is actually a connection of an infinite number of points but not of straight lines, at least form the POV of the geometry.
    Depends what the guy is smoking :
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    i'm sorry, but i simply don't agree with you on this one

i said he wasn't on the ideal racing line - on that we agree, but the racing line is the fastest, all other ways of going round the corner are available and fair, they are alowed to use all the track.

by passing Massa on the outside, that gave him the inside for the 2nd half of the chicane and the chance to complete a block pass.

i fail to see why he could not have negotiated the 2nd part of the chicane (the left turn) the pic showed he was round the 1st part, pointing towards the 2nd part. why could he not have slowed down at all to take this corner from there? Alonso was on the fastest line and would have been on the gas and well away before he got there. whislt Lewis would not have been fast round the 2nd part of the corner he would have had track position over Massa. as it is the touch makes this all conjecture, but i don;t see why it is so certain that Lewis was going off until he cut the 2nd part. watch any in car footage of the chicane, preferable when 2 cars are close and there is time to slow before the 2nd (left) turn. he had made the 1st 90 degree right hand part of the corner, albeit missing the apex, but still on the track.

One can not rely on the photo but must look at all the tapes as shown on the telly......it is clear that LH was going way too fast

And assuming no touch by Massa and a magical increase in grip to stay on track, FA was bouncing over the curbs and landed in a position that completely took that racing line away from LH, such that if LH remained on track, FA and LH would collide without question upon exit from the corner

As it was, LH was going so fast that he was actually along side FA as FA came off the corner but off the road--indeed it is clear that LH could have passed FA if the second corner had been much shallower and the portion of the road included where LH was located.

But it did become moot when FM broke--at what point the FIA had or had not reached a decision on whether to penalize LH or not by making him pull over and let FM go by, I do not know.

not much point in having a driver pull over to let another driver pass when he is in the pits......all busted down or some post race investigation or whatever....when the pass made no difference about nine laps later

As having said al that about LH, it was not such a foul that deserves any kind of review as has happenned with some other racing incidents such as the MS/JV wdc smack down....i would think the most would be a simple requirement that FM be placed in front of LH..so
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    Depends what the guy is smoking :
    Good point, I didn't actually think about that!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I asked earlier how many have actually raced cars. Markabilly has and I respect his opinion although I disagree with him this time. I have been in these first corner melees and have both hit and been hit, none of it on purpose. You do not have time to think. You do everything on instinct and are too bl--dy busy to do anything but react. Yes you may have planned moves before the start but they rarely if ever work out to the way you want.
    I do respect everyones' opinions but have to admit I will give more credulance to those who have been there. From reading the posts I can guess that there are several racers, past or present, posting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leopardsleeping
    This may need arithmetics also to support this trigonometry theory, but his start squeezing Massa didn't support this theory as it took up more series of points, btw good assessment.

thanks, never wanted to race or have raced a car. but i do know a thing or two about fighter planes and basic fighter manouvers, and this is the closest reference i have to driving an f1 car at speed thru' a chicane, so i see the solution differently. also, if you've ever used a serious 3dmodeller, then you'll understand the reference to a circle being a connection of straight lines.
    My opinion. Thank you.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    thanks, never wanted to race or have raced a car. but i do know a thing or two about fighter planes and basic fighter manouvers, and this is the closest reference i have to driving an f1 car at speed thru' a chicane, so i see the solution differently.
    I never saw a race car do a loop nor other aviation related maneuver.

also, if you've ever used a serious 3dmodeller, then you'll understand the reference to a circle being a connection of straight lines.
    Circles are represented as connections of a greater or smaller number of straight lines in more and less serious 3D modeling and engineering softwares because we can't model an infinite number of points to trace a perfect circle due to understandable limitations of computing power.
    As you can see it's not because of geometry, it's because of a way to simplify reality to suit the computational power we have at our disposal at this moment.
    And this isn't my opinion, it's a fact.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    I never saw a race car do a loop nor other aviation related maneuver.

Circles are represented as connections of a greater or smaller number of straight lines in more and less serious 3D modeling and engineering softwares because we can't model an infinite number of points to trace a perfect circle due to understandable limitations of computing power.
    As you can see it's not because of geometry, it's because of a way to simplify reality to suit the computational power we have at our disposal at this moment.
    And this isn't my opinion, it's a fact.
    well, if you take the time to look at everything that i've posted on this thread, you may be able, i stress, may be able to see that I KNOW THIS.
    If you take the time to look at my argumentS, you would understand, that this was an argument TO conclude that hamilton was loking for the fastest, CLEANEST path to exit the last corner. This should have been obvious.
    You may or may not take this personaly, i hope you don't.
    I state my opinions, no rancor, they are just that OPINIONS.
    Why in the wide wild world of sports should i expect you to read my mind?
    I tried to simplify after you asked for a clarification: you didn't get it, and you still don't. FACT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    well, if you take the time to look at everything that i've posted on this thread, you may be able, i stress, may be able to see that I KNOW THIS.
    If you take the time to look at my argumentS, you would understand, that this was an argument TO conclude that hamilton was loking for the fastest, CLEANEST path to exit the last corner. This should have been obvious.
    You may or may not take this personaly, i hope you don't.
    I state my opinions, no rancor, they are just that OPINIONS.
    Why in the wide wild world of sports should i expect you to read my mind?
    I tried to simplify after you asked for a clarification: you didn't get it, and you still don't. FACT
    You obviously know nothing. The quickest line through a chicane like the monza one is always to keep to the right into the chicane and to keep to the left coming out......
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.