Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    no one knows absolutely, how the human body works, if we did, we'ld have a cure for aids, cancer, and all the other things which ail us. why, we'ld have a way to stop aging when we wanted to. the thing is, what are the factors, the variables that define these things? maybe in another 100years?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchote
    So, according to you, why is it that all record holders in track and field, most of the best boxers, most of the best basketball players, etc., happen to have African blood? Any conspiracy theory?
    Personally, if I were them, I would consider it an insult to have my sucesses dismissed purely because of genetics, when it's much more likely to be years of hard work and dedication.

I have played the piano for some years now, and after a performance (at least, after one that has gone well : ) it's not uncommon for people to come up to me gushing about how my long fingers and "lack of nerves" let me play well. They seem to be implying that it's my genes that create a natural ability in me that allows me to play the piano, but they're flat out wrong. Practice makes perfect, yes?

I imagine that there are many reasons that result in the large number of sportspeople with African descent. Perhaps it is cultural? Being from New Zealand, I cannot really comment on the cultural circumstances in other countries, but I cannot imagine that everything comes down to genetics. Don't forget that genetics are not the only thing that can contribute to an individual's overall characteristics. As examples, if a person goes to the gym regularly they will have bigger muscles than those who do not go to the gym, and if they drive racing cars regularly, they are more likely to be better at it than other people who do not.

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    There are differences between races other than the obvious such as skin, hair & eye color. If I remember correctly, the average Inuit has a more spherical head. This minimizes surface area of the head (where much body heat is lost due to the large amount of blood flow to the head) which in turn helps to decrease heat loss. Also, I believe (again going on memory) that Africans have a longer femor(sp?) in relation to their height compared to other races. This may help explain their dominance in some sports. A friend of mine that studies Karate tells me Oriental people are the opposite, giving them a lower center of gravity.

I'm sure Lewis has faster reflexes than the average person, but I think it's more down to coincidence, not race. I would think all the F1 drivers have extremely fast reflexes.

I just happened to see a blurb on Discovery Channel today on Babe Ruth. Tests were done on him during his best season in the major leagues. These tests had nothing directly to do with baseball, but help explain why he was such an increadable hitter. One test was a repetative hand/eye motion test. Another was a sight/recognition test. He scored WAY above the average person. I'm sure Lewis would do similarily well.

So take the natural genetic talents, add years of training, desire, fearlessness of youth......and you've got a very rare and exceptional driver.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear
    There are differences between races other than the obvious such as skin, hair & eye color. If I remember correctly, the average Inuit has a more spherical head. This minimizes surface area of the head (where much body heat is lost due to the large amount of blood flow to the head) which in turn helps to decrease heat loss. Also, I believe (again going on memory) that Africans have a longer femor(sp?) in relation to their height compared to other races. This may help explain their dominance in some sports. A friend of mine that studies Karate tells me Oriental people are the opposite, giving them a lower center of gravity.

I'm sure Lewis has faster reflexes than the average person, but I think it's more down to coincidence, not race. I would think all the F1 drivers have extremely fast reflexes.

I just happened to see a blurb on Discovery Channel today on Babe Ruth. Tests were done on him during his best season in the major leagues. These tests had nothing directly to do with baseball, but help explain why he was such an increadable hitter. One test was a repetative hand/eye motion test. Another was a sight/recognition test. He scored WAY above the average person. I'm sure Lewis would do similarily well.

So take the natural genetic talents, add years of training, desire, fearlessness of youth......and you've got a very rare and exceptional driver.
    i agree. environmental, cultural, genes, how do we establish any absolutes without contaminating such an experiment, that the results would be acceptale?
    i don't know hamilton's outlook, but my experience is, what do i need to do to elevate my skill set, so that i can compete or fight(soldier here) and win.

for all we know, it may be his caucasion genes?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What I love about Lewis Hamilton is, he came in, they gave him the car, and he has done the job. This is the way i approach things. Continue to learn, and always teach.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiero 5.7
    I think he's young and young people think they're bullet proof and race with a "win or die trying" attitude. I did. Go to any motocross track and watch the youngsters race. You'll see what I mean. They'd think nothing of centerpunching and running over their own mothers if the ol' git wandered in front of them while they were leading a moto.
    I'm inclined to agree with Fiero here. Also, is racing really about reflexes here?, or is about being able to feel the car and take it out to the knife-edge and bring it back?
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear

great post!
    J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexamateo
    I'm inclined to agree with Fiero here. Also, is racing really about reflexes here?, or is about being able to feel the car and take it out to the knife-edge and bring it back?

What do you think "to feel the car and take it out to the knife-edge and bring it back" is? I think you just contradicted your point!

Or perhaps you are jocking and I missed the joke
    J

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Actually, I have seen studies (sorry, no link) that most people of roughly the same age have about the same reaction times. What sets superior athletes apart in racing and many sports is their ability to mentally anticipate what may happen next. This makes it appear they are reacting more quickly, when in reality, they have actually worked out their response in their mind before the event happens.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I'm not sure if this has any relevance but this is Essendon's excitement machine. We were also doing very well against the Cats until he broke his arm and then our teams Captain James Hird pulled his calf muscle a minute later

http://u-tube.ws/search.php?q=Alwyn+Davey

Enjoy.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout