Page 10 of 127 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What Happens Next?

Well, if there is a 2008 season, it will have the following...

1. Season preview that promises much and delivers little

2. 16/17/18 cars underfunded cars with second rate drivers and ride buyers

3. 13/14/15 races with 9/10 of those outside the USA

4. 2/3 races on the schedule, but not confirmed and ultimately cancelled

5. More buying of Network TV time slots and lower ratings year on year, due to poor TV coverage and presentation in places like Canada, Mexico, Australia and others.

6. No series sponsor, even though lots of rumours will promise as much

Is that what you were thinking Dr Jack Miller?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    On the subject of “What Happens Next” it was an interesting weekend. I am encouraged to see signs of life at both the CC and IRL races with healthy crowds and good-looking events.

I know there are those who will debate attendance or who had the better race but that is getting really tedious.

I was amused to read David Phillips comments in his Sunday notebook on SpeedTV.com about the refreshing honesty of the Assen promoter in giving attendance numbers. It makes the promoters here look very bad indeed.

On the subject of this thread, “What Happens Next?”, I saw stories about both the Amigos media conference on the future of ChampCar and on the Indy Car State of the Series press conference. What a contrast in tone and content...

In answer to David St. Hubbins' question about what I think will happen next?

Hey, some of it happened today.

The Amigos spoke about a brighter day ahead. The usual “trust me” and “wait until next year” stuff we have been hearing for four years was spewed on a new continent. Sorry but I am not buying any of it this time. I gave at the office gents!

So... KK and PG tells us they are changing their plan yet again and charging off to Europe. What happened to the American National Championship that the Amigos claim as their rightful heritage whenever it suits them? I particularly like all the comments about how the world loves American stuff like ChampCar. I want what the Amigos are Smokin’ becuase without it, they sounded like has-beens in the making to me.

The IndyCar Series guys surprised me with the timing of their press conference but upon reflection, it made sense to do it in Detroit, in the heart of sponsor budget season. Some of what they said was interesting and the full transcript is on IndyCar.com along with a video that is boring to watch. Above all, they seemed more professional and organized than the Amigo's all-to-often FEMA, post Katrina style briefings. Time will tell if the IRL guys are spewing spin like the CC G5 fly boys did from their vacation in Europe but from what they hinted at, I do think they are getting ready to throw some Tonybucks out there to lure some CC teams over to the IRL. It may work given how many times the good ship Champtanic seems to have run into very bad things this season. People have mortgages to pay and families to feed and I am sure that many a team member in Champ Car is asking themselves “what the hell am I doing here” about now.

After reading all of this (including my favorite headline this week: "61,000 Dutchman can't be wrong!), I really think what will happen next is the Amigos will run out of stories to tell, people to dupe and excuses to make and they will either fold their tent or reach for the peace pipe. I think they all should be promoters and team owners and that nature will run its course. Ditto for TG… but I can’t imagine TG letting go as easily as the Amigos will.

So what I see is a compromise where TG and the IRL run the regular IndyCar season in North America and the Amigos run a fall and winter league in Europe, Asia… wherever. All should be under one set of rules and one brand but I can’t really see it being Champ Car’s. My hunch is that all this will ultimately be defined by TG and the IndyCar Series because they hold the most cards.

Of course there will be more promises, firings, key hiring’s, fallen F1 teams and drivers rumored to be coming to ChampCar, mega new urban events that somehow never work out and a civil trial in California in October before all this is all over… but I do believe it will be over.

I know the foregoing seems like the end of the world to some here but I can tell you first hand, that for those of us who work in the business, the past dozen years has been the end of the world. Thankfully the gong is about the sound on the Amigo’s ego-o-rama and someone will finally “win” this sad war. I just hope it is the fans not TG who get the ultimate say in what happens next.

With the Indy Car rules under review there is some small hope that all may come to their senses and do what is right: One series with all the great drivers in fast, sexy cars, multiple manufacturers, a diverse schedule that has a vibrant competitive environment and venue mix that reflects what CART was while keeping the spirit of IndyCar and Champ Car racing’s rich shared heritage alive and thriving. No contrived racing and no more Pee Wee’s manager and his pervy old sidekick. One more thing, ISC and SMI can have their 1 1/2 mile tracks for monster truck races if the new IndyCars cannot be configured to race safely on them without running in flat out packs of mayhem and doom.

I know everyone may not agree --- especially CC'ers like Sanguin or the IRL lovers like IndyCool but what we have now in either series is simply not good enough. I want to gag every time I hear one side or the other attempt to argue that they have “the greatest on track product the planet”. Hmmmm. Why then are both series so seriously shy of audience and sponsors?

It is now time to get real boys and girls or get left behind when dawn breaks on a new day.

As for the cars, I want something fresh. It is time to zero the tach and start a new race to a fresh identity without all this baggage. I want these new cars to be what every driver worth a damn on the planet wants to drive because they beautiful, powerful, and fast. Most importantly, I hope they require courage, commitment and skill… and the ability to skillfully modulate the throttle at every track on the schedule.

While reading the IRL State of the Series story and transcript on IndyCar.com, I found the following link to a short video on the Art Center Indy Car 2011 project. It was interesting in that Robert Clarke seemed committed to the Indy Car Series and TG seemed to like the idea that the cars need changing. Good... I guess, but given the IRL’s history in such matters, I remain worried that the ugly stick will still be used in the final design process. But, judge for your self and check out the video. BTW, the existence of the video and the comments made in the IRL press conference about the IRL’s future car plans stand in conflict with Sanguin's view that the IRLs new car initiative is “just a piece of paper”.

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=9686

One last thing I want is for IndyCar/ChampCar drivers to be famous in America again for something other than finishing fourth in the Indy 500… or being on ‘Dancing With the Stars”… or crashing all the time… or having goofy looking shoving matches with helmets on.

But what I want probably doesn’t matter as much as what you want.

So... What happens next?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What happens next? Champcar finally steps up and gets an extremely active promotional campaign made for television.....
    :champion:car Continuing since 1909
    http://www.youtube.com/user/champcar4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Intersting reading some of the above. Unfortunately like many others CCWS isn't cutting it at all this year. I have been away for a while, and to catch up with CCWS in ASSEN to hear that the race in Phoenix is gone, well that kinda sums up everything doesn't it. (the Assen race looked packed out, great crowd. Belgium didn't look so good though).

I just typed a whole load of stuff up about this topic, then deleted it. Whats the point the whole thing is a joke!!!!!

Why should any company be interested in sponsoring a two bit series, (IRL or CCWS).
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by almost everyone
    So... What happens next?
    First, fans on internet forums will reenact the same battles from the last 10 years over and over again with the same results. The same arguments will be trotted out and rehashed with no conclusion. A fanatical supporter will attack anyone who disagrees with their view of the CC world and call them a troll (or worse). The fan with a gripe will accuse the cheerleaders with having their head in the sand (or elsewhere). Why?

The sports world is changing. The world is changing. No sports entertainment will grow if it holds no attraction to the non-fanatic, non-racing public. The thoughts of a few internet fanatics and critics mean almost nothing in the marketplace. The question should be asked "what do casual racing sports fans expect to see"?

IMHO, the problem today with CCWS is that it is one of the best racing series that no one knows about. It has perhaps one of the best matched fields of teams and drivers of any series. So why is no one watching and no one seems to care?

The casual fan watches to be entertained. They expect a professionally run event and series that runs smoothly, gives them information about what is happening, and has interesting people involved. Sadly, Champ Car falls short on nearly every one of those points. Events get canceled, the schedule has no continuity, they have alienated the media so we get little information, we learn very little about the people as they keep changing, and the series sometimes just comes off as a bunch of amateurs. The power to pass debacle at Assen is a perfect example. This system has been in use all year and they still can't get it right? That is inexcusable. Where are the priorities?

They seem to be a sound ship with some leaks and yet no rudder to get them to port.

Ok, so what happens next? No one seems to know what the Amigos expect to happen next, but if the series is to grow, it has to address some fundamental issues. Anyone who has ever been in a successful business (and racing is a business) knows there are certain elements to success.

1. Give the customer something they want. Actually CCWS does a good job here as the racing is mostly very good.
    2. Treat the customer well. Here they can do better. Media coverage from TV to print is uneven and sometimes lacking, so the customer has trouble getting information. They don't always treat the fan as a honored partner.
    3. Marketing. Even a crappy company can survive if they market well and create a positive image. There are many poor run companies that thrive because they has created a perception of success. As for the marketing in CC? No comment needed.
    4. Have some quality control and problem solving systems in place. Here they fall flat on their face. Silly technical problems like the PTP problem reappear, there has been a number of engine blowups (in a controlled spec series it should be very rare), they seem surprised too often when an event is canceled or something goes wrong, and they seem to repeat errors over and over again. Who is piloting the ship? Cottman seems to be the first to actually address some of the the problems, but is he too little too late?
    5. Consistent long range plans. Every company needs to forecast their future. Almost every decision and plan relies on the forecast being accurate, complete, and achievable. Some business actions take a long time to achieve, and the path can't wonder or the goal will never be reached.

The last point seems to be the biggest problem with Champ Car. The amigos had a five year plan, but it seems to change every year. When one thing works, that suddenly becomes the target. First it was street racing festivals. Then someone realized just how expensive they were to put on and how much they relied on local funding. Now, with the success or Zolder and Assen, it suddenly looks like the international market is the goal. The hints in the latest press lead to a conclusion that the international market is the focus. Will CC leave the US for other markets? It sounds that way.

Tbars said it best about the equipment. It isn't about the cars or high tech or low tech or the spec cars or non-spec cars. It isn't about aero subtleties or downforce. It is about putting on a good show. It is about getting the fans interested in the people, interested in watching, interesting in seeing something that tickles their senses. Most casual fans couldn't tell the difference between a Lola, a Panoz, a Dallara, a McLaren, or a Ferrari. They are all just open wheel race cars with wings. But they can tell the difference in the quality of the show around the cars and people.

So, what happens next? Until CC can decide who they are and what they are, much of the sports public will be confused. Are they a street racing league? Are they the real legacy of open wheel racing in the US? Are they an international series, mostly based outside of the US? Are they a pinnacle sport or a temporary holding area for drivers looking for a place to work until something else opens up?

Some fans have simply thrown up they hands and walked away. The dismal TV ratings and lack of media coverage seems to support the idea that no one cares much anymore. Some will blame other series (and people) , but any company that doesn't focus inward and fix the internal problems doesn't have to worry about the competition. They will destroy themselves from within.

Champ Car still has an opportunity to fix the ship and sail into the sunset. But until it has a rudder, and a captain, it will circle around the fringes of the sports world until no one cares any more.
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJackMiller
    On the subject of “What Happens Next” it was an interesting weekend. I am encouraged to see signs of life at both the CC and IRL races with healthy crowds and good-looking events.
    Uh no, Belle Isle only has 25k seats and they were not full,even the freebies can't get them to watch the IRL product. CC wins this one by a long shot.

On the subject of this thread, “What Happens Next?”, I saw stories about both the Amigos media conference on the future of ChampCar and on the Indy Car State of the Series press conference. What a contrast in tone and content...

In answer to David St. Hubbins' question about what I think will happen next?

Time will tell if the IRL guys are spewing spin like the CC G5 fly boys did from their vacation in Europe but from what they hinted at, I do think they are getting ready to throw some Tonybucks out there to lure some CC teams over to the IRL.
    News flash! everyone that wants to be in IRL is already there and TG doesn't have enough money to throw at anybody else, he has to keep throwing it just to keep the teams he has going and to fill the grid at the 500. TG is out of bullets. This business plan is stupid and based on kiling another series, doomed to fail. There is nothing great about the IRL's struggle to keep 18 cars on the track.

So what I see is a compromise where TG and the IRL run the regular IndyCar season in North America and the Amigos run a fall and winter league in Europe, Asia… wherever. All should be under one set of rules and one brand but I can’t really see it being Champ Car’s. My hunch is that all this will ultimately be defined by TG and the IndyCar Series because they hold the most cards.
    What cards? No one wants Richmond, Kentucky, Iowa, Nashville,Homestead.Do you see anyone that is envious of the IRL? You make me laugh. The 500 is failing every year in attendance and ratings.The schedule is not what anybody wants except your diehard IRL fans, all 20 off them.And then you all sing RP's praises for giving that crappy Belle Isle race and taking away MIS.

We have LB, Cleveland, Houston,San Jose, RA,Las Vegas, Portand in the US, all tracks TG wants.

No ,give this one to CC.

It was interesting in that Robert Clarke seemed committed to the Indy Car Series and TG seemed to like the idea that the cars need changing. Good... I guess, but given the IRL’s history in such matters, I remain worried that the ugly stick will still be used in the final design process. Sanguin's view that the IRLs new car initiative is “just a piece of paper”.
    Yes it is just a piece of paper ,a design by some students? Are you serious? TG has made announcements for a new car ,when was that ? back in 2004? Remember, he had to cancel because that's when the wheels starting falling off the IRL, everyone was leaving. Honda is so "committed" until they follow Toyota into nascar. So far they won't be in the IRL in 2011.

I find it interesting ,that you suck up all TG's empty promises and yet CC has delivered on a number of theirs, new car,its real and its good,new car and revived Atlantics with the drivers moving up to CC. TV contract, new events, new teams,new sponsors,secured events like LB and Toronto,2 successful European events. That's good for 4 years.

Please do tell what TG has accomplished in 12 years of IRL? Lost manufacturers, teams ,sponsors and tracks.Scraping together a grid by putting Roth and Milka in as backmarkers.Depending on honda to bring in cut-rate sponsorship and pay the salaries of the old CART drivers.So many freebies given out to get an audience at the tracks they will never be able to get anyone to buy a ticket again. What ever...

No, CC is not going to save TG or his IRL now. What happens next? CC continues to define who,what and where the best ways are to grow their series. They have a good base in the US, and can continue to expand to become the WORLD series.

Meanwhile TG still continues to limp along in front of empty stands jonesing after CC.
    Champ Car Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dear Sanguin, (or should I address you as E. Sanguin Cipponym?), please take a break from your Dutch Daydream and ask yourself if anyone really believes what you are writing here. The word "delusional" defines your view from where I sit. Who on earth is looking longingly at the so-called business that is Champ Car and saying to themselves "wow, brilliant!" outside of the four self-impressed Amigos? Okay, I agree that IndyCar has problems that are deep and real but that is not the issue in my book nor is it justification of ChampCar's whacky, wandering trip to near-zero credability, (tragic) cultural-irrelevance and almost certain extinction. For me, and I hope for anyone who really cares about what is best for American Openwheel racing, the issue is: What is now possible if The Split is not in the way? Okay, people with extreme views like you have will certainly lose voice if The Split ends -- especially now. So I can see why you attack because this is a fight for your ego's survival as the upsidedown world you live in looks like it is about to fade into history. All the die hard Amigo lovers probably feel this way, but for the rest of us who suffered through guys like you and the Amigos who were on the IRL side in the begining, hey, your point of view has had its day. The Fab Four have also had their chance to prove they can cut it and just like Sarah Fisher, they haven't and it is time for them to move on. 300 Million Americans can't be wrong, eh? Just like Jack Long did for the IRL in 1996, you are selling something that has a stink on it. People usually won't buy something that stinks unless they stink too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dear Sanguin, (or should I address you as E. Sanguin Cipponym?), please take a break from your Dutch Daydream and ask yourself if anyone really believes what you are writing here. The word "delusional" defines your view from where I sit. Who on earth is looking longingly at the so-called business that is Champ Car and saying to themselves "wow, brilliant!" outside of the four self-impressed Amigos? Okay, I agree that IndyCar has problems that are deep and real but that is not the issue in my book nor is it justification of ChampCar's whacky, wandering trip to near-zero credability, (tragic) cultural-irrelevance and almost certain extinction. For me, and I hope for anyone who really cares about what is best for American Openwheel racing, the issue is: What is now possible if The Split is not in the way? Okay, people with extreme views like you have will certainly lose voice if The Split ends -- especially now. So I can see why you attack because this is a fight for your ego's survival as the upsidedown world you live in looks like it is about to fade into history. All the die hard Amigo lovers probably feel this way, but for the rest of us who suffered through guys like you and the Amigos who were on the IRL side in the begining, hey, your point of view has had its day. The Fab Four have also had their chance to prove they can cut it and just like Sarah Fisher, they haven't and it is time for them to move on. 300 Million Americans can't be wrong, eh? Just like Jack Long did for the IRL in 1996, you are selling something that has a stink on it. People usually won't buy something that stinks unless they stink too.
    Like he said, "the IRL is jonesing after Champ Car." Delusional is an understatement, I was thinking loser. Sanquin, who I think is Steve Johnson or someone else heavily invested into Champ Car, needs to get a clue. I would be supprised if anyone in hear actually reads his post anymore. The Belle Isle race was packed yesterday, I dont know where he gets his numbers.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unhappy

Thanks...I really didn't want to take any time out of my last day of vacation to summarize what you've done for those of us who know better about the travesty that is CCWS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyars
    Boy, here is a big one for me.

I have been involved with a number of technically-oriented industries in my days. And the best lesson I have ever learned is that it DOES NOT start with the equipment. The equipment is never the key. PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS THE KEY. And I believe motorsports is no different whatsoever.

Many, many CCWS fans went into 2007 with this attitude that the DP-01 would be the savior of the series, "The Future of Racing." That, IMO, is a crock. What a short sighted, ignorant statement. Look how 2007 has turned out. Misdirected loyalitites. Misdirected priorities. I give you the 2007 "breakout year" CCWS series as proof.

FORGET ABOUT THE CARS. Forget about the chassis, forget about the engines, forget about the tires. All of those things, in ANY motorsports series, are nothing more than selecting a vendor, something that has to happen in every business in the world every day.

(snip)

What do the fans want, Dr. Jack?

They want heros who capture their imagination.
    I agree w/ your statements whole-heartedly.

I know that my broken record refrain angers hard-core car guys, but I'm explaining the facts of life in auto racing in our era.

The DP-01 isn't the key to, or even a major part of, CCWS's success. Most race fans, aside from the rabid CCWS fans, couldn't pick it out of a lot full of open-wheel cars. The fans don't care about turbo vs non-turbo either. CCWS could be running stock minivans for all the good that the DP-01 does them right now.

It doesn't even matter about driver talent.

What matters is that sponsors find a driver that can market their products. That driver becomes spokesmodel for that product, and the racing series. Witness what, say, Pepsi has done for Jeff Gordon, or what STP did for Indy back in the 1960's. When a sponsor makes a car a celebrity, good things happen to that driver's racing series. When that driver is an A-list celebrity, known by more than race fans -- say, a Richard Petty in the 1970's, or Mario and AJ in the 1960's -- then the series has a chance of breaking into the big time.

The nice part of Indy is that they still have the marketing concentration to make a driver into a star. CCWS lacks that ability at this point, and until they find a way to make a driver into a A-list celebrity, they will be a higher form of Star Mazda.