Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: BRSCC response

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mission Statement

This is what we need...

Stolen from NASCAR.com (for educational purposes - to teach the numptys in Europe how good NASCAR is!)

The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR), which began in 1948, is the sanctioning body of one of America's premier sports. NASCAR is the #1 spectator sport - holding 17 of the top 20 attended sporting events in the U.S., the #2 rated regular-season sport on television with broadcasts in over 150 countries, and has 75 million fans that purchase over $2 billion in annual licensed product sales. These fans are the most brand loyal in all of sports and as result, more Fortune 500 companies participate in NASCAR than any other sport.

NASCAR consists of three major national series (NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, NASCAR Busch Series and the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series) as well as eight regional series and one local grassroots series. NASCAR Sanctions 1,500 races at over 100 tracks in 35 U.S. States, Canada and Mexico. Based in Daytona Beach (FL), NASCAR has offices in Bentonville (AR), Charlotte (NC), Concord (NC), Conover (NC), Los Angeles, New York, Mexico City and Toronto.

------- end theft -----------

So, do I write to the nice Mr France and Mr Buller saying - here you two - talk to each other, and get Rockingham NASCAR sanctioned! Have a NASCAR office at Rockingham to handle UK operations.

I know we once had an allegiance with the ASA (mostly due to the cars!), but that is no longer what it was since MTV killed it.

What a big filip for the BRSCC to be sanctioned to run a NASCAR series (we could run a "Car of The Day after Tomorrow" (ie: composite panels, and a fuel injected engine running.... bio-ethanol???!!!)
    Team Air Ambulance - Rookie Champions 2007. Support your local air ambulance charity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You're the man - GO FOR IT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racing59

So, do I write to the nice Mr France and Mr Buller saying - here you two - talk to each other, and get Rockingham NASCAR sanctioned! Have a NASCAR office at Rockingham to handle UK operations.

I know we once had an allegiance with the ASA (mostly due to the cars!), but that is no longer what it was since MTV killed it.

What a big filip for the BRSCC to be sanctioned to run a NASCAR series (we could run a "Car of The Day after Tomorrow" (ie: composite panels, and a fuel injected engine running.... bio-ethanol???!!!)
    Following the '01/'02 ASCAR-NASCAR fallout, Ashley Pover had a meeting with Bill France Jnr and other NASCAR officials at Rockingham. I remember AP telling me that they were impressed with the facility and they went away happy, but nothing more than that came out of the visit.

It was always the plan to link UK stock car racing to the US racing scene (hence the moves with ASA) but for NASCAR to get involved in Europe now I suspect the bar will have to be raised significantly over here before they would even consider it.

I'm not privy anymore to the long term plans for Rockingham, but who knows!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Carter
    Following the '01/'02 ASCAR-NASCAR fallout, Ashley Pover had a meeting with Bill France Jnr and other NASCAR officials at Rockingham. I remember AP telling me that they were impressed with the facility and they went away happy, but nothing more than that came out of the visit.

It was always the plan to link UK stock car racing to the US racing scene (hence the moves with ASA) but for NASCAR to get involved in Europe now I suspect the bar will have to be raised significantly over here before they would even consider it.

I'm not privy anymore to the long term plans for Rockingham, but who knows!
    I think any link would be a 'naming' exercise at best, with probably a large sanctioning fee going to NASCAR. I'm sure they'd help with contacts etc to get cars/parts, but they're not going to support or fund a series methinks.

Sorry if I'm sounding negative, but I can't see this happening for a long while, unless Rockingham start to get interested in motorsport again - now with the F3/GT weekend, BTCC and possibly Powernights, there's a glimmer of that happening. It's such a crying shame the facility still isn't a jewel in British Motorsport.
    Marshal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
    It's such a crying shame the facility still isn't a jewel in British Motorsport.
    Amen to that! It was the hope of everyone working at Rockingham in May 2001 and the facility is still THE best motorsport venue in the country, bar none.

With BTCC and now British F3/GT back at Rockingham this year, things are looking better, but there is a LONG way to go.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Glad to see the BRSCC are listening to the issues now. Last race weekend was Caterham meeting with the odd bit of oval racing just to prop it up.
    I have not lost faith in Rockingham having been going since 2001 I will come back at the next meeting. I would love to see the series flourish honestly I can’t see why it hasn’t grown that much.
    If I could change one thing I would make every race day a celebration of oval racing.. So maybe a demo of a run of a Indycar (I am sure there are few around in the UK .. there was a IRL car in the Boss Series) or some oval race car at the lunch break rather than motor bike displays. Also more effort to make the V8’s and PUT the centre of attention.
    I don’t think the idea of NASCAR sanctioning racing at Rockingham is that far fetched. Look at the NFL/NBA/NHL they have all had relationships with their British equivalents for a while and are all bringing regular season games to the UK.
    There is certainly an appetite for having a foothold in Europe for American sports at the moment. On the other hand they are moving the show over here, NASCAR have already dismissed a Cup race in Europe but I think they would love their brand on the best oval series in Europe.
    I think the regulations the SCSA uses for its racing does not quite fit with NASCAR. Dropping the 2 races in a day for one long race with refuelling would in my opinion make it a better proposition for a start (I am aware this requires extra licences or something). I am sure if NASCAR wanted a NASCAR Europe series it would have to fit to NASCAR’s perception of racing all be it with some slight regional differences.

Whatever happens I hope we are all able to enjoy/participate in SCSA racing at Rockingham in 2008!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturnracer
    I think the regulations the SCSA uses for its racing does not quite fit with NASCAR. Dropping the 2 races in a day for one long race with refuelling would in my opinion make it a better proposition for a start (I am aware this requires extra licences or something). I am sure if NASCAR wanted a NASCAR Europe series it would have to fit to NASCAR’s perception of racing all be it with some slight regional differences.

Whatever happens I hope we are all able to enjoy/participate in SCSA racing at Rockingham in 2008!!!
    Why would the regs have to change? NASCAR sanctions many series which run shorter races than the 3 top series, usually running short tracks i'll agree, but I don't see that being an issue. What could be an issue is the fact that we currently have low car counts, (not through lack of effort by any means,) and the fact that there's only one oval track on the books atm. If Eurospeedway comes on board for a couple of meetings a year, then that may change it a bit. For me, fuelling isn't viable atm, we need to keep things as cost effective as possible for potential new teams as well as existing competitors.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Refuelling isn't an issue until we start doing more than about 75 laps.

When you look at NASCAR Weekly series races, they are generally around 50-100 laps on short ovals (1/4-7/8mile) - more laps on the shorter ovals.

The issue with sanctioning is that it will probably cost the series or circuit money to become sanctioned. However, the benefit is publicity.

The rules (specifications) are irrelevant, the issue is the "type" of racing, and the "end result" - the NASCAR machine.

Bottom line we have a marketing issue. Marketing the circuit & racing to the public, and marketing the series to the motor racing public to entice new drivers.

As has been said before, the short oval fraternity shy away because they see the V8's as they were a few years ago - mega money. It has been shown from the last two years that it is not.

And the road circuit fraternity think we're either "dirty short oval racing types with black greasy hands", or "complete lunatics who race 6" from a concrete wall, with NO gravel to hide in!".

Doing some road course racing and going to other ovals should help.

If we can get over those problems, we've cracked it.

I look forward to this coming meeting, where maybe, just maybe, some of the Ford Saloon's guys who are interested may go out an buy a "Ford Taurus" or two....

Rob.
    Team Air Ambulance - Rookie Champions 2007. Support your local air ambulance charity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racing59
    When you look at NASCAR Weekly series races, they are generally around 50-100 laps on short ovals (1/4-7/8mile) - more laps on the shorter ovals.

The issue with sanctioning is that it will probably cost the series or circuit money to become sanctioned. However, the benefit is publicity.

The rules (specifications) are irrelevant, the issue is the "type" of racing, and the "end result" - the NASCAR machine.

Bottom line we have a marketing issue. Marketing the circuit & racing to the public, and marketing the series to the motor racing public to entice new drivers.

As has been said before, the short oval fraternity shy away because they see the V8's as they were a few years ago - mega money. It has been shown from the last two years that it is not.

And the road circuit fraternity think we're either "dirty short oval racing types with black greasy hands", or "complete lunatics who race 6" from a concrete wall, with NO gravel to hide in!".

Doing some road course racing and going to other ovals should help.

If we can get over those problems, we've cracked it.

I look forward to this coming meeting, where maybe, just maybe, some of the Ford Saloon's guys who are interested may go out an buy a "Ford Taurus" or two....

Rob.
    Make no mistake I agree with both you and Nick Brad. My point I guess is the product is Latemodel racing on a 1.47 mile oval.. why don't the SCSA put on a race that reflects that maybe once a year have a 100+ lap race. Maybe call it the United 200 or something and invite some drivers from the States.
    I just think SCSA needs to have something unique to pull crowds in the cars should be enough and if we could get more guys out there maybe it would be. Your of course right that NASCAR sanctioning if we could get it would attract sponsors drivers and teams.. That would be great!
    I think the matter of racing the V8's on a roadcourses was discussed two seasons ago, problems of car configuration and the extra cost to change from oval settings to roadcourse meant it was never taken any further. It would be nice to see what they could do on a right hand bend
    I know I am talking pipe dream stuff but there are enough people with a passion for oval racing on both sides of the fence to drag the V8's out of this slump. What we need is a few of them with the money and the balls to do it. Trust me if I had the green in my pocket I sure would.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Regarding the fracas after the last meeting when things got a tad heated, does anyone know who is, or isn't, likely to be entering next weekend?