Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

An invitation of mutual interest

Back in early June, I made a call out to fans of CC forum to come together and watch the Champ Car race. The I picked was the CC race at Elkhart Lake on August 12. The meeting place: ESPN ZONE in Times Square, New York City. When I first issed this invite, I got mostly a positive response. In fact, some fans from elsewhere offered to go to other ESPN ZONEs, and help to coordinate communications. That would be great, and I welcome any efforts to see that through. I've called ESPN ZONE in NYC and asked about coming there. They told me we're more than welcome, but if we wanted a guarantee of space, we'd have to reserve it and put up a $1500 fee in advance. I can't come up with that kind of scratch, but since the race will be on one of the ABC/ESPN, it shouldn't be a problem seeing the race on one of the many plasma TVs they have scattered about the place. We can just show up (early) and grab a table or two and watch the race while comsuming mass quantities.

August 12, watching the Champ Car race at Road America, at ESPN ZONE in New York City.

The reason I am proposing this is very simple. This war in open wheel racing has gone on far too long. It has accomplished NOTHING. Niether series has gained th upper hand, it has driven sponsors from the sport, it has driven drivers to other racing series, almost unthinkable just 12 years ago, and -- most importantly -- has driven fans from the sport. The lack of crowds at events -- killing open wheel racing at places like Nazareth, Fontana, Gateway, and most recently, Michigan. This is unacceptable.

We as fans need to do something about this. I propose to begin a dialogue to explore ways how we can do this. Therefore, this invitation goes out to IRL fans as well. If this gathering is successful, and someone from the IRL group wants to arrange something similar for the 2008 Indy 500, I'll make every effort to get there, depending on where it is. Since I'm in Boston, NYC is closest to me.

From what I have been seeing over the last 7 months, the partisanship is beginning to fade as the sport continues to die an agonizing death. If there is one thing we are all beginning to see eye to eye on, it's that this insane, silver spoon, ego motivated, fan ignorant war, must stop, now. We need to let the sport know that we fans have a say in this too, and we want them to make a deal sooner than later. We don't want to wait until the sport is dispenced among the ashes of motorsport history to say, "How did this happen?" I have no idea if any will come, or how we can make a difference, but my opinion is we should try. Maybe we can let ESPN know what we're doing and let them know what we'd like to see happen in the sport.

If anyone has any reaction, any opinion, even if you think I'm blowing smoke, let me know. I plan to be there regardless to join some friends and watch the race. I'd like as many of you as possible to join me.
    "Racing is life. Everything before or after, is just waiting." Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Good idea Chap and I wish I could join you, but it's a little far. We are all race fans whether it's Indy or Champ or Nascar or F1. Once we realize we are more the same than different, we could come together for the good of the sport.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexamateo
    Good idea Chap and I wish I could join you, but it's a little far. We are all race fans whether it's Indy or Champ or Nascar or F1. Once we realize we are more the same than different, we could come together for the good of the sport.
    I couldn't have said that better, my compliments. I'm sorry you can't make it, but my concern is the lack of response to this concept. Yay or nay, I'd just like to know what people think. If we as a group don't make our voice heard to the two series, what incentive do they have to come together?
    "Racing is life. Everything before or after, is just waiting." Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Liked 252 Times in 68 Posts
    I think it's a great idea, but judging by the lack of response it seems that others don't think so.

I wish I could be there but as I'm in the land of Oz it's a bit too far to travel.

Ray
    2007 Australian Rally Champion Driver Class P3
    2011 Australian Rally Champion Codriver Privateers Cup and Premier League,
    2014 Australian Targa Champion Codriver Late Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It would be great to take up the offer but I'm even further away than raybak.

From this far away the OW split has always seemed a bit bewildering but I realise there is a lot of history and ill-feeling surrounding it.

I often wonder how it can be solved without fans who stand strongly on either one or other side of the debate feeling their respective side has been sold out.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    45 below - i live in the same part of the world as you do and i would love a unified series to come down to NZ and race at Hampton Downs. However I fear that the only way this will happen is if Champcar goes broke. The IRL have deep pockets so they will hang in there. I fear that it will be the status quo for many years to come.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    mark123, I can't argue with the logic of what you say, that is in terms of this saying the same for a long time to come. That could happen, I just hope not. But The Amigos are in it for the long haul. But even if there were a clear victor (either IRL or Champ Car), who would care, and who would come? Whatever is left of the fans would be so disgusted, they'd go on to NASCAR, F1, or sportscar racing. That's why we should end the silliness now.