Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
The point is, it's extremely easy to get into indurance racing. You either build cheap car based on one of four spec chassis with spec hybrid, or if you really want to win, you have good engineers and facilities, you spend more money and build LMH.. But it's easy and it's cheap, just look how many privateers start in WEC and IMSA. There are even privateers that build their own cars.

And Rally1 isn't that far from LMDh. There are spec safety cell and spec hybrid unit. Space frame is easy to make and it's also cheap. Then there are the expensive and useless engines, which are all pretty same, and it's imo major gatekeeper for teams that would like to get into WRC.

So why not allow build Rally1 car in similar way to LMDh? Choose 4 companies that would build spec chassis and allow competitors to buy them. Choose 4 part makers for every parts that will be spec. Make engines based on road cars again and let everyone to convert the engine. Or force manus to sell these engines like it's in F1. And then just let anyone build Rally1 like a lego.

Well I wouldn't be mad at all if Rally1 would become semi spec series. After all now it's not that far from spec series with how much strict ruleset is there.
I get your point, my the anti spec thinking is very much ideological. I don't mind a few things here and there, but a spec chassis from third party suppliers is big no no for a top class. I'm even against the spec electrical unit, but of course I'm not dumb enough to think it would be feasible to have each develop their own.

The one thing that is a big difference from sportscar racing to rallying is the big interest by rich gentleman drivers and the classic race car market, plenty of chassis (even some works cars) are owned (maybe even funded to a degree) by speculative investors with an eye on selling them in a few years time when they won some big endurance races. Even the gentleman drivers are not like Serderidis, they often fund their professional co drivers and even the teams or construction of whole cars sometimes. In general there seems to be more loose money in sportscar racing than rallying and I'm not sure a change in ruleset magically changes that.