Threaded View

Liked 79 Times in 24 Posts
    Good to know that there are other crazy rally nerds around which are planning virtual rally events or virtual WRC events. I thought to myself you are a bit crazy - what are you doing – but good to know I am not alone. For me it’s ok – because other people are playing virtual football games for hours also.

I am from Austria - so I have done a remake WRC version of the infamous Austrian Alpine Rally (Alpenfahrt). This rally is one year older than Monte Carlo. The virtual rally has nothing really to do with the old Alpenfahrt despite a few stages from the 1973 version. It’s just the iconic name.

It’s a mixed event with one day on gravel (Friday) and two days on asphalt (Saturday, Sunday). At the moment the rally complies the FIA rules, but the FIA wants to ban mixed events in the near future.

It’s a combination of three existing events and some old gravel stages which were not be used for rallying since a while. Based in Linz (population 200.000, infrastructure is not too bad, hotel rooms, int. airport, big asphalt area for service and parc ferme in the city center, infrastructure for press conference, media room and rally HQ is there)

Thursday: Super Special in Linz (3,50km style mixture of Harju stage in Finland and the old RAC park stages. Not that crap SSS style like Germany 2018)

Friday: gravel stages from the Waldviertel Rally, old Semperit Rally, old Alpenfahrt Rally 1973 (115km) remote service or just a tyre fitting zone at Horn, unfortunately a long liaison to get there from the rally HQ (a bit like in Wales nowadays)

Saturday: crossing the border to the Czech Republic. 2 loops of 3 stages from the Cesky Krumlov Rally (Malonty, Kohout-Jan, Rožmitál-Rožmberk) - between back to service in Linz, in the afternoon loop there is a SSS at Ceske Budejovice integrated plus a time control at the main square of Ceske Budejovice including an autograph session. (150km)

Sunday: 2 loops of 3 stages from the Jänner Rally. Power Stage finish near Freistadt, finish at Freistadt Main Sqaure. (75km)

I am a bit worried because maybe some special stages are far too fast for the modern WRC cars and for our Czech friends I guess I have to rethink about the rally name.

In total about 344km with 22 special stages. I have to look a bit closer regarding the 25% special stage rule. Resumed for the virtual rally – the roads are all there, the infrastructure is there but to get it all together for a real event to get permission and stuff like that and organize it. It’s impossible.

The detailed intenary with stage times and so on is under way.
    Last edited by bearclaw; 1st February 2019 at 17:59.

2. Likes: Allez Andruet (1st February 2019),AnttiL (1st February 2019),electroliquid (3rd February 2019),NickRally (1st February 2019),the sniper (1st February 2019),TWRC (1st February 2019),Zeakiwi (3rd February 2019)