Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
I think Williams need an experienced F1 driver to partner rookie George Russell. Ocon's daft crash with Verstapenn at Interlagos sort of ruled him out as such a driver. It makes sense that they would go with the wealth of experience of Kubica who is well aquainted with the Williams car over the last two seasons. Even so, l think Kubica would need to bring some serious funding for this proposition to be realistic. As we know, Williams are hunting for sponsorship and only a paid driver would help make up the financial vacuum left behind by the Strolls. Hence, Ocon is still out of contention without money backing.

I think a moneybag driver is going to fill that seat, it is a matter of which one out there have backers with deep pocket. Williams may not last the next season without additional funding from a well funded driver and maybe an additional sponsor. Hence, l would wait to hear the details of the partnership before marvelling at it.
I'm not really sure that experience is the key here. Quite frankly, I don't think "experience" is what Kubica is bringing to Williams when he has barely done a few competitive races since 2010 - if I'm not mistaken, all his experience with the new generation of cars amounts to a single Friday practice session at some GP in 2018, so I'm expecting him to do a Pedro de la Rosa. On top of that, it's not like they're bringing Fernando Alonso or Kimi Räikkönen in. Kubica is a guy who's only had four and a half seasons of F1 under his belt. Ocon has had two and a bit, but they're with recent cars.

I'd really like to see Kubica do really well and shut the doubters up, but I just can't see how picking Kubica as a race driver isn't them shooting themselves in the foot.