Finland's Esapekka Lappi has held talks with Toyota about a potential place in its new WRC programme next year.

Advertising

The 25-year-old underlined his position as one of the sport's hottest young talents last weekend when he won the WRC 2 category at ADAC Rallye Deutschland with the Skoda Motorsport team.

It was his second consecutive WRC 2 victory and fuelled speculation that he was ready to take the step to the sport's top level in 2017.

After the rally, Lappi acknowledged that stories linking him to Toyota's new Finland-based WRC operation had some foundation.

"There are rumours, yes. I can say that I've never driven any WRC car, but I have been in the workshop. So that is where the rumours come from, I guess. I visited the Toyota workshops." he explained.

When asked whether he was talking to Toyota about a drive next year he said: "Yes."

Asked if this would be his hope next year, Lappi replied: "It is one option, let's say."

Lappi's nonchalant attitude to his title chances in this year's WRC 2 championship only added to the sense that his future was secure. "Everything is possible, but, to be honest, I am not thinking about it too much," he shrugged when asked about his title chances.

"I just want to do one event at a time and concentrate on that. No matter what the result is. I don’t think about the championship too much. If it comes, it comes, and if it doesn’t come, then I don’t care. It doesn’t change my future," he added.
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/augus...7--12-12-.html