Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
Having said it, of course I don't like single team domination, specially when there is no good competition within that team. The last point is what made the most recent Ferrari and Red Bull domination years so dull. At the same time, fans recall the years of McLaren domination in the 80s with real pride. That's because Prost and Senna battled each other hard at that time.
I know people idolize the late 80s, but to be honest - how much of it is rose-tinted glasses? Because IMHO it is very much the case. Once I watched the FIA Reviews of those years and there were only a couple of races per season, when Senna and Prost really battled hard.

And then think of 1989 - Senna was faster in most races, and Prost only won due to far better reliability. So not much different from the title battle we had in 2014, only that Hamilton DNF only 3 times, which wasn't enough to deny him the title, while Senna in 1989 DNF from more than half of the races.

So late 1980s is indeed rose-tinted glasses. Retrospectively viewed romantically only because Senna/Prost are legendary names. And also partly due to the off-track drama and major fall-out between drivers. But not what was really going on on the racing track.